Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to see what I am in for, but looks like I had a roller lifter that spun on my 5.0 roller engine. Portion on the bottom of the lifter wheel has been flatten out. Engine was rebuilt a few years ago, but only has a couple hundred miles on it as rarely driven. It is entirely stock setup. Have not started pulling other things yet but assuming that cam would need to be replaced are there other things I need to look out for? Is this going to require tearing down the entire block? Any suggestions and guidance would be greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Spun as in the roller locked up or spun as in the retainer plate broke and the lifter turned 90 degrees and it ate up the wheel? I had the latter scenario one time.

Honestly it probably does not matter, it needs to come out and be torn down, it will have metal all through the engine and just one little piece will jam your oil pump up. When you put it back together just get a new oil pump and pick up and clean the hell out of every piece you reuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes looks like the dog bone popped out of place and the roller turned flattening the wheel. So best thing to take the block completely apart (removing cam, crank, pistons) and start fresh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any suggestions on cleaning to ensure all oil passages are clean? Is it just better to have a machine shop fully de-grease and clean the block?

·
Banned
25,617 Posts
if the machine shop assembles the engine, its up to them

if you do, its up to you

compressed air, rifle brushes, rinse a repeat until its **** and span

1 - 6 of 6 Posts