Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my lowering springs and paid $200.00 for these
new.So now i was going to have them put on and every body wants like $150.00-$200.00 to put them on,and one place wanted $350.00 too do this,so you all know where i told him to stick it..Anyway how hard is it to take the stock ones off and install the new ones?This is one thing i have never done is take springs off a car,and i have been told the front is a pain in the a$$..I would like to do this my self and put that 150.00 somewhere else..

·
Registered
476 Posts
I paid over $200 to have mine installed, but that was with a bunch of urethane bushings and having new tires mounted and balanced. As for installing them at home, it doesn't seem all that hard. I would suggest a Haynes repair manual, they have a pretty detailed section dealing with removing and installing springs. Anyway, good luck--these cars look much better lowered:D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Very simple and easy job no matter what anyone says. Im guessing ur cars 94-95 GT or cobra. if so

Rears--- unbolt the rear shocks, from the buttom and also the quad shocks, dont completly take them off, just undo one bolt on each. Then the rear end should drop. pull out the old springs, take off the rubber boots and instal them on the new springs. Bolt the shocks back up and thats done

Fronts--- Take wheels off, duh, then unbolt caliper,hang that up on the iner fender. unbolt the 3 or 4 bolts holding the strut in on the top. strut should drop, and then spring should drop also, well not drop, u will need to pull at it, but it will come out. reverse steps to instal.

Pretty much the only thing u will need to do is unbolt one side of each shock/strut. And unbolt brake calipers, its pretty simple when u get down to it. Job took me all of maybe 3 hours, without airtools.
Also dont forget the offset sterring rack bushings and either remove or buy the new bump stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys just wanted to let everyone know if you got you'r front springs out by just removing the strut and droping it down you are lucky..we worked on mine for 2 1/2 hours and still did'nt get the f***ing thing out.Found a cheap spring compressor but even
then it still had to much pressure to pry out.So now i guess i will have to wait untill my next off day and do it like it say's in the Haynes manual--not going to be fun..

·
Registered
605 Posts
Everyone makes it sound easy, but I had a he11 of a time with my 94. Someone suggested disconnecting the tierod end from the spindle and that would let the arm drop more. Don't know if this works or not. The fronts were a biatch to get out for me...and to get the lowered springs back in.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I just did mine a few hrs ago, it twas easy ;) I disconnected the front sway bar up front and keep the brakes all hooked up. Put the jack under the a arm and took out the 2 bolts holding it, then lowered the spring out.
On the back, I was gonna just do what Poostang said, but my buddy had a hella of a time that way, so I took off the sway bar then the back bolt of the lower control arm with the jack under it. Lowered the jack and walla....yanked out those sorry ass stock springs :) It may take about 2-3 hrs with hand tools.

·
Registered
940 Posts
whoa, thanks for that tip poostang, i never thought about just undoing the rear shocks. its such a ***** lining up the lower control arms again.

the front is a piece of cake with a TIE ROD END PULLER! use it for 2 reasons... it is way easier and it will not mess up your allignment.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The first time can be a little bit of a pain simply because the stock springs are so long. I can take my entire front end apart in less than an hour. If you have some jack stands and a floor jack you don't even need spring compressors. Everyone makes it sound harder than it is. My name is Matthew and my number is 254-690-3081 if you have any questions. Please don't pay someone to do it. It would be a total waste of money. Later bro!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I guess it depends on which springs you are installing. When I did my "B" springs, the front control arm would not swing donw far enough to installl the new spring. Fortunatly, I had been able to purchase a ford specific spring compressor (yes there is such a thing) and it made the job easier. UN fortunately someone has since made off with it and I can't find another one so I will have to find another solution when I swap the springs onto the 95.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mustang World had a cool tech article, like 5 pages long on each step to take to remove the stock springs and reinstall the new ones. I plan on going by that when I do mine. Thanks for the phone number....I may end up using it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts