Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im installing some Eibach lowering springs in front and have the MM install tool. I can NOT get the spring up onto the tool!!!....i can get real close but it just dosnt
wanna go on there...any tips or tricks? How the heck to people do springs in there drive way? Im about to throw the springs and that tool in the garbage....

I have the car up high enough that when i push down on the A arm it goes down as far as it can....

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sway bar unhooked, watched video. I can push the a arm down enough it vertical.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Got any spinach? Maybe have a friend come by and put some fresh eyes on it other than that you can always rent an internal compressor and do it that way.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a way to get the internal compressor OUT once the spring is in?...i thought no body did it that way cause you couldnt. I thought thats why everyone did it this way?

·
Registered
22,422 Posts
leave the control arm connected to the spindle, lower the a-arm by removing the bolts to kmember

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
leave the control arm connected to the spindle, lower the a-arm by removing the bolts to kmember
X2 - This has been the way I've done it since messing with spring compressors, especially when trying to install progressives. But now I have C/Os.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you leave the strut hooked up? What about the tie rod end?

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
So you leave the strut hooked up? What about the tie rod end?
Yes, strut stays attached to spindle and tower so that end is supported when the a-arm is detached at the K. I disconnected the tie rod to provide more freedom of movement, but not certain that is required. Be sure to support the a-arm with a jack.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If you have the MM install tool, and you are installing Eibach lowering springs there should be no need to unbolt the control arm to k member bolts. You need to rotate the bottom spring coil into the mm tool. Then when you jack up slightly on the control arm you rotate it back out into it's final position and then jack it up. I have done this numerous times.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I put a ratchet strap hook on the bottom of the spring through the hole in the bottom of the a arm. Ran the other side of the ratchet strap to the other spring hooked it the same way. This kept them lined up with the a arm. Then I jacked up the bottom of the a arm. Done. No compressors involved.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the first spring in and everything tight, i left the end link loose until i get the other side done. I was able to get the spring half way on the MM tool then i gave it a good kick and she went in. How tight are the bolts for the end links suppose to be? Is there a torque spec or?...seems you wouldnt be able to tighten them much since you will just keep squeezing the poly isolators?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Tight enough where you can still rotate the bushings with your fingers,this will make sure there's no preload on the bar.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
When you say "got everything tight" I assume the control arm fasteners were done with weight on the suspension. This is not as important if running poly control arm bushings, but it is critical if running stock rubber. The rubber bushings' design adds wheel rate during articulation so they need to be at ride height (i.e., neutral) when torqued to spec else pre-lode will be added when set on the ground. That pre-lode will act poorly during driving and cornering.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you say "got everything tight" I assume the control arm fasteners were done with weight on the suspension. This is not as important if running poly control arm bushings, but it is critical if running stock rubber. The rubber bushings' design adds wheel rate during articulation so they need to be at ride height (i.e., neutral) when torqued to spec else pre-lode will be added when set on the ground. That pre-lode will act poorly during driving and cornering.
I used a floor jack and raised the control arm to ride height then tighten the bolts, will that work for "ride height"?

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
It will as long as:

1) The swaybar endlink is disconnected.

and

2) The floor jack is placed directly under the ball joint. The further inboard on the FCA the floor jack is placed, the less weight will be on the spring, so the control arm will be at a different angle than it will be at ride height.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts