Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed new Maxspeed Rear springs and X2C Upper and Lower V1.0 Controls arms today. Everything went somewhat smoothly except for getting the swaybar mounted on the X2C arms, I had to mount it on the outside of the LCA's. I called X2C about it this afternoon and they told me I just needed to pry it in there. Well, I tried pry bars of all sizes and even tried forcing it in by hand with my feet up against the wall of the garage pushing as hard as I can...Still nothing >:p

I called them back and they told me all it takes is a little elbow grease:rolleyes: . I'm 6'3" and weigh almost 270 lbs (and I'm in decent shape, lift weights 4-5 days/week) and there was no way in hell I could've gotten it in there. That's when I said to hell with it and mounted it on the outside of the arms. Apparently I wasn't the only one with this problem --> Other post about this issue

The real problem was when I lowered the car down, it now sits 2" higher in the rear than it did with the stock springs. :confused: :curses: Could the LCA's be the problem? The spring perch did seem to be in a slightly different spot...

I made sure everything was seated correctly though and it was. The springs were a LOT shorter than the stock ones so I'm really confused. Here's a pic I snapped prior to installing them:

Anybody else have this sort of problem? This isn't just one side out of whack here, it's the whole rear. The Maxspeeds are identical to the Eibach Sportlines and I should be looking at a 1.8" drop in the rear...

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Drive it for a little while and let it settle.Mine sat a little high after i installed everything.But it dropped around 2 inches after some miles.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You think that will help that much? I'm talking like 4-5" from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender lip. This is sitting on the ground too, not on the jack.

I just went and double-checked to see if I installed the LCA's backwards but they are on correctly (that just popped into my head). Here are some pics, the springs do not look very seated on the perches to me. The LCA's also look like they're angled up pretty hard, like the rear is sitting lower than before, but it's pushing the car upward:confused: :

Could one of the bushings be bound and causing it to sit like this?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Oh No! Those are V1.0 Control arms! I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your stock control arms are much better than those. Do some searches....

There boxer arms were released for a reason. I went through three sets of those arms in 2 months.

·
Registered
417 Posts
First, I would highly recommend spending the money on the Maximum Motorsport LCA's.. I bought a set of "cheap" ones (Granatelli's) and had problems until I got the MM's. Second, dumb as it may sound, I remember when I did mine that it seemed like the control arms would fit both forwards and backwards; I had to check the originals to make sure I put them on right. With the spring off the perch like that in your picture it almost seems like they're on backwards.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked last night to make sure they weren't backwards and they were facing the right direction. I'm beginning to wonder if they are just poor quality.

When I was checking them last night, I noticed one of the bushings had already cracked so now I've got to pull them anyway. I e-mailed X2C and told them about the bushing so hopefully they'll replace it for free considering it cracked before I even drove the car.

I think I'm going to tell X2C I want an upgraded set after reading up on the V1.0 arms, like SSHEL-B said, there are tons of issues with these arms. I read in a post that they upgraded some guys for free because of problems he was having...hope they'll swap mine out.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Ouch! Anybody want to comment on Mega Bite Jr's?

·
Registered
602 Posts
First off the car is sitting high because the springs are installed wrong, not because of the control arms (come on now!!). The end of the ALL rear lowering springs MUST be at the rear of the LCA not at the side as pictured or to put it another way you need to turn the spring 1/4 turn clockwise if you were looking at it from the top of the vehicle, this will take care of your ride height issue. Many people may know this but the arms pictured were NOT made by us but by an outside source.We have since released this company and all control arms are now made in-house. Even though we did not produce the pictured arms we still stand behind them and offer a lifetime warranty. As always X2C Motorsports appreciates the Corral members business and would like to help in any way possible. Good luck!

X2C tech services
818 901 8000
www.x2cmotorsports.com

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
X2C Motorsports LLC said:
First off the car is sitting high because the springs are installed wrong, not because of the control arms (come on now!!). The end of the ALL rear lowering springs MUST be at the rear of the LCA not at the side as pictured or to put it another way you need to turn the spring 1/4 turn clockwise if you were looking at it from the top of the vehicle, this will take care of your ride height issue.
It did not matter which direction I turned them, that was how they sat. Believe me, I tried turning them every way known to man.

X2C Motorsports LLC said:
Many people may know this but the arms pictured were NOT made by us but by an outside source.We have since released this company and all control arms are now made in-house. Even though we did not produce the pictured arms we still stand behind them and offer a lifetime warranty. As always X2C Motorsports appreciates the Corral members business and would like to help in any way possible. Good luck!

X2C tech services
818 901 8000
www.x2cmotorsports.com
I knew that as well. I bought these in July but had not attempted to install the lowers until today. I installed the uppers in August but did not have a chance to install the lowers until now. Before I ever posted this I searched and dug up some posts about these arms.

I talked with Armon and I'm sure he'll get everything squared away. I'm sorry if this post came off as if I was knocking your product, I did not intend for it to sound that way. I was just looking for some help from someone who had similar issues in the past.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I reinstalled the stock LCA's for now and the springs sat fine on those. One of my bushings had cracked on the X2C lower so I needed to take them off anyway until I could get the new bushing in.

Test drove the car yesterday and the springs are pretty stiff but I like the way the car handles:). Much more control through the turns.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Johnny V. said:
Test drove the car yesterday and the springs are pretty stiff but I like the way the car handles:). Much more control through the turns. [/B]
If you're still running on stock shocks, get a set of good shocks and you'll get even more control back.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
davidreed said:
If you're still running on stock shocks, get a set of good shocks and you'll get even more control back.
Oh believe me, I want a set in the worst way. I think I'm going to go to coil overs soon though and I don't want to spend the money if I'm just going to get rid of them shortly thereafter. I bought the springs back in July, just been too lazy to install them:D.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts