Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure that when people say a 302 block can only handle 500hp, they mean at the flywheel, but i wanted to make sure. Just something i have been wondering about for a while now, but kept forgetting to ask. I make 500hp at the rear wheels now, so i am sure as hell on borrowed time, lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i have heard a lot of people running 550h.p. @ the wheels with no problem. as long as everything is tuned okay, you should be fine...at least for a while. however, running @ that much horsepower will take its toll quickly

·
Registered
12 Posts
the stock block is factory rated at 450hp @ the crank. Most people will tell you it can handle 650hp @ the crank as long as you don't detonate the motor. I have seen several 500+rwhp cars with stock block run for a long time. Even a 600+rwhp car that ran many passes at the track with out block failure. The key is don't detonate the motor. But that is no gaurantee. Another factor is how you make that HP. NA, NOS, blower, turbo. NOS is the hardest on parts, then blower, then turbo, then NA. Of course rpm range matters too. Spinning it to the moon will shorten its live also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts