Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the 5 lug conversion and I cant get the spindle off the ball joint. I tried hitting the spindle form the bottom but I dont want to damage the ball joint. Any help will be appreciated.

89 Gt with basic bolt ons. Gt40 irons and cobra intake waiting to be installed!
:joy:

·
Registered
779 Posts
The ball joint pickle forks will sometimes tear the grease boot on the ball joint. You can separate the ball joint from the spindle by hitting the side of the spindle where the pin goes thru with a big hammer. It may take some blows, but the pin will eventually fall out of the hole in the spindle and you will not damage the grease boot. Good luck! Tom

·
Registered
746 Posts
Exacetly what Tom said. Make sure you put the nut back on the threaded portion of the ball joint in case you miss. That way you'll just hit the nut and not damage the ball joint threads. It'll also keep it from flying apart on you if it decides to "pop" after a couplea blows. Give it a few good 2-hand square shots on the backside of the spindle where it sits through the ball joint. She'll pop right out....

·
Registered
668 Posts
You can also beat on the ball joint stud from the top. Leave the nut on, and just slightly above the threads, so that you are actually hitting the nut. It will pop right out.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
on my car, one side was a ***** to get off... finally used a seperator tool and tore the boot.
The other side popped off with a few hits of a hammer.

I just ordered brand new FRPP control arms and was done with it.. this way I have new bushings and ball joints.

:)

Anyone need some stock control arms? cheap! hehe

Adam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts