Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm running a 160mph Cobra face on top of my 150mph 2000 GT cluster. Does anyone know how or where I can get the speedometer calibrated? I've already tried a couple local speedometer calibration places and they are unable to work with an electronic cluster.

PS. Please, dont bother saying anything about SpeedCal, Abbott, or any other similar type of speedometer calibration device. That is not the proper way to calibrate the speedometer in my situation.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow. No one has a recommendation? Am I one of the first people to do this? :cool:

·
Registered
570 Posts
When I ran across the same issue, I figured out how much my speedo was off. I solved this to a percentage, such as 10%, 12% etc. At that point, I built a digitital signal processor that would multiply or divide the signal correctly to make up the difference. Mine was a CMOS setup...

Worked great for years, in fact I still use it whenever I drive the truck to work and back. This is in my 351 powered *smog legal in california* ranger.

Adam McLaughlin
UC Berkeley

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adam Mclaughlin said:
When I ran across the same issue, I figured out how much my speedo was off. I solved this to a percentage, such as 10%, 12% etc. At that point, I built a digitital signal processor that would multiply or divide the signal correctly to make up the difference. Mine was a CMOS setup...

Worked great for years, in fact I still use it whenever I drive the truck to work and back. This is in my 351 powered *smog legal in california* ranger.

Adam McLaughlin
UC Berkeley
If I understand you correctly, the solution you suggested is similar to a SpeedCal or Abbott device. What they do is change the VSS signal before it gets to the ECU.

In my case, the mileage recorded on the odometer was correct (IE the signal from the VSS was OK), the problem was the needle did not point to the right MPH. What I needed was a way to adjust the sweeping ratio of the needle, not the calibration of the signal to the gauge cluster (if that makes sense).

The problem is mute anyway. I got rid of that car and got an '03 Cobra. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts