Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
you sure about that? 3.55s usually take the 20T (tan I think) right now with 3.73s I believe I have a 21T.

This is an AOD, I believe with 7 tooth shaft.. but then again some AODs had 8 tooth shafts....

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Adam Dugger said:
you sure about that? 3.55s usually take the 20T (tan I think) right now with 3.73s I believe I have a 21T.

This is an AOD, I believe with 7 tooth shaft.. but then again some AODs had 8 tooth shafts....

I think most AODs in Mustangs had 8 tooth drive gears. My T-5z has a 7 tooth drive gear and I have a red 21 tooth speedo gear and 3.73 rear gears. With my old 8 tooth AOD, I had a 23 tooth speedo gear which was a white aftermarket gear with super thin teeth that always break off. Ford doesn't make a 23 tooth gear, or at least didn't. I don't know if they do now.

If you have a Ford Motorsport catalog, the speedo gear info is in the back somewhere. I don't know where my catalog is right now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
you wnat a 23 tooth gear, ford makes the part it is DOOZ-17271-B
i paid $7.48 for it.
i had a 90 aod with 3.55 gears and 16 inch ponys w/245-50's all around

remember tire size has alot to do with it too

hope this helps

·
Registered
87 Posts
well regardless of what people say that gear is, it worked on my aod with 3.55's it read 2 mph high at like 95 mph and was dead on at 45-50 mph, i got the formula from mustnag 5.0 magazine about a year and a half ago it calculated rear tire size and ring and pinion gears to give you the correct part number

sorry about any problems caused
:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.