Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedo cable has been making a bunch of noise and yesterday my speedometer quick working, I'm assuming that the cable finally broke. Has anyone replaced the cable on their car and if so what's the best way to do it?

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Remove the panel below and around the column, remove the light, fog, hazzard, and defroster switches (if equipped) from the instrument cluster bezel.
Remove the bezel, and instrument cluster.
Behind the cluster are two plugs, and the speedo cable, simply disconect it from there.

From under the car just remove the screw holding it to the tranny.
There is a bracket close to the drivers side headder that needs to be removed also.

Use old cable to fish new one thru firewall.

To install, do the same thing in reverse order.

Should take ~1-1 ½h

(make sure cable do not touch any exhaust parts)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it would be too difficult, but I wanted to make sure there weren't anyh huge obstacles that I wasn't thinking about.

Brandon

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can give you some pointers for the speedo cable. first off, you can do one of two things: replace the cable, or just lub it with graphite oil. To lub it, once you get to the cable in the dash, just pull out the inside metal wire, lub it and put it back in. If you're going to replace it, you have to pull the cable into the interior area. NOTE: the hole in the firewall is not large enough to pull the cable into the engine bay. You might find it hard to unhook the cable from the speedometer; it requires a flat head screwdriver to unlock it. Good luck

·
Corral Charter Member
11,141 Posts
hmmm...

when installing my new Ford speedo cable, it was fairly easy to disconnect the old one from the cluster without any tools.

All I did was squeeze the plastic cup with the tabs on the end of the speedo cable together (where it attaches to the cluster) and pulled the cable with my other hand at the same time... the cable then released from the cluster without any issues.

Also, you can pull the cable through the firewall. From the engine bay side, once you have the cable disconnected from the speedo cluster, pull off the rubber grommet on the firewall, then proceed to pull the cable out through the firewall... Installtion of the new cable is the reverse.

The cable from Ford was only $30 I believe. I opted for a genuine Ford cable and not aftermarket (auto parts store) cables. The new cable comes with the bracket and the grommet.

Good luck, it's fairly easy to do, just a little time consuming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts