Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had my speed cal on for about 200 miles and all seemed well but when i was comming home from the shore the speedometer started to bounce from 0 to 60 mph for about thirty seconds when i was going a steady speed of about 60 mph. does this mean it is going to quit on me soon or what. this is the second speed cal i have installed. whats up?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hey, if I remember right you have a 96-98 right? The answer is yes it could be the SpeedCal but it could also be a wiring problem or a VSS sensor. Richard, Keep an eye on it, check the connections, let me know what you find out...

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have not had a problem like his with mine.
I would check all your wires and make sure they are all tight and secure.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is a good question. I just got mine today and will be installing it tomorrow. According to the website, you should just install in on top of the trany. I am wondering if that is the safe place for it?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Just shove it forward of the inner boot. There's a nice little cubby hole that it fits in just nicely. That's one of the reasons its in the box it is in. In that lcation it is still inside the passenger compartment but tucked out of sight.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Does speecal have a setting for the new 3.90 gears?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well, the basic answer is yes, but all of the electronic adapters are generic correction units and are not tied to specific gear ratios. The Abbott I believe corrects in 0.5% increments and the SpeedCal corrects in about 0.2% increments. So yes, basically they will adapt to any starting and changed out gear ratio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes my car is a 98. i checked all wires , all seem tight. i put about 150 more miles on it and no problem right now.(knocking on wood).

·
Registered
191 Posts
TriBlkCobra said:
Just shove it forward of the inner boot. There's a nice little cubby hole that it fits in just nicely. That's one of the reasons its in the box it is in. In that lcation it is still inside the passenger compartment but tucked out of sight.
Yes, go to the Dallas Mustang website, you can set it for any year/tire combo.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If TriBlkCobra is still listening, I'm not sure what you mean by the "inner boot". Are you talking about something under the car or inside the passenger compartment?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
When you pull the console piece up with the leather boot thats the outer boot. When you put that aside you will see a goldish plated piece of metal holding down a rubber inner boot. That piece of metal ties to the car chassis. There is a little cubby hole just forward of that location under the radio area that the SpeedCal will fit in just fine. You have to pull the inner boot up anyway to run the harness down thru, when you are done you just push the box forward of that inner boot location. If its not clear, ask again. I've got the install pics here. If someone can host them I can post them.

·
Registered
654 Posts
TriBlkCobra said:
When you pull the console piece up with the leather boot thats the outer boot. When you put that aside you will see a goldish plated piece of metal holding down a rubber inner boot. That piece of metal ties to the car chassis. There is a little cubby hole just forward of that location under the radio area that the SpeedCal will fit in just fine. You have to pull the inner boot up anyway to run the harness down thru, when you are done you just push the box forward of that inner boot location. If its not clear, ask again. I've got the install pics here. If someone can host them I can post them.
I'll host whatever you'd like, I've got a couple of MB free.

Also, I wrapped mine in a shop rag to keep it from rattling around before I shoved it under the dash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts