Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Better get you a "Wilson." Because like Tom Hanks, you'll be all alone on the Island of Speed Brain.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
is it better than stock
Well it depends, There never was any support for them when they were being built and now the odds of finding any info on one is next to nil. They worked but the learning curve was fairly steep and the software sucked, If your building a museum based off of failed performance parts then I say buy it but if you plan on using it don't. I would run an old Crane Interceptor before I used a Speed Brain.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I had one for a couple of years...was going to run it on my blower car but put it on my wifes DD 94GT to mess around with it...it never made it to my car. There is no support, and although it looked to be a powerful controller, the more you experimented, the more questions you had.

some had injector driver problems that would burn out. I had a odd occasional complete shut down while driving down the road.....I would leave it in gear, turn the key off and back on and it was fire back running....

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
There is some support on the speedbrain yahoo group. You can also get the software there. I would recommend joining if you have one of these devices. I also have a 94-95 one with everything for sale at this time. If the hardware dies though you are SOL. Of course, how long is the warantee for any of the other chips/ecu's out there?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I had one. It sucked. The first one I bought was a dud. The firmware wouldn't stay in memory. They aren't serviceable. They software (or firmware) was so broken that I had to lean out the a/f ratio to go richer and vice-versa. Good luck figuring that one out on a dyno day. They don't have enough control over the engine. There is no provision for rpm bump with a/c. I sold it for a Tweecer. I would never lay out cash for another Speedbrain.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I had one. It sucked. The first one I bought was a dud. The firmware wouldn't stay in memory. They aren't serviceable. They software (or firmware) was so broken that I had to lean out the a/f ratio to go richer and vice-versa. Good luck figuring that one out on a dyno day. They don't have enough control over the engine. There is no provision for rpm bump with a/c. I sold it for a Tweecer. I would never lay out cash for another Speedbrain.
I have heard alot of stories of them having problems with tuning on the dyno and having bad hardware. I have never had any hardware problems. Also on my setup I had some issues I thought were the SB, but they turned out to be mechanical motor problems. I agree that the A/C rpm bump issue is a problem. That is one of the main reasons why I am switching to the Moates.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I have heard alot of stories of them having problems with tuning on the dyno and having bad hardware. I have never had any hardware problems. Also on my setup I had some issues I thought were the SB, but they turned out to be mechanical motor problems. I agree that the A/C rpm bump issue is a problem. That is one of the main reasons why I am switching to the Moates.
Yeah, the car ran like a raped ape with the Speedbrain and had decent manners. I just kept wondering when the internal firmware was going to fail and leave me stranded. I was nervous enough about it to sell mine and move to something else. IMO, nothing is any more reliable than a piece of OEM equipment, so the piggyback makes the most sense to me. Moates, Tweecer, same difference really.

I was big on the Moates J3 port chip stuff way back before all these other EEC Tuners/Speedbrains/Tweecers etc were even conceived. I always wanted to build my own J3 port chip programmer. It's gotten a lot easier since then. What a difference a decade (holy crap, and then some) makes!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I was big on the Moates J3 port chip stuff way back before all these other EEC Tuners/Speedbrains/Tweecers etc were even conceived. I always wanted to build my own J3 port chip programmer. It's gotten a lot easier since then. What a difference a decade (holy crap, and then some) makes!
Your telling me! All of the stock computer programmers are great these days. For our Chevy's I have EFI Live and that is just about as bad ass as they come. Cheap too at $700. Nothing like some good competition to bring the prices down......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts