Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are you guys using and gapping them at? I have heard good things of the NGK iridiums, are they worth it vs say a motocraft platinum?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am running autolite 764 gapped at .054. Same heat range as stock and they are pretty inexpensive compared to the NGKs. Personally, I don't see much benefit in spending a lot of money on plugs when the Autolite copper plugs work great.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I ran NGK Iridiums on my N/A Cobra, and now run the Autolite 764s (.054) and noticed no difference in performance between the two (have track times to prove it) The only thing that I did notice was that the car idled better with the NGK Iridiums...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Autolite 764 platinums gapped at .052

I'll be switching to coppers when the time comes for these to go...You'll have to change them more often but I've heard they help with detontation more than the platinums...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I use the motorcraft awsf22e's - platinum, at 0.054". Just fine.

No need for a copper plug unless you've got some pinging going on.

·
Registered
459 Posts
NGK TR55 gap at .054. They're cheap at under $2 at NAPA, and they wear like iron. Just replaced mine with 15K miles on the old ones - could have left them in there another 10k easily.

-Dave
'01 Cobra coupe

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Heck, NA or Blown, Autolite 764s (.054 NA, .035 SC). $1.00 a plug, better than platinum plugs (platinum plugs are for longevity, that's all). Why spend so much money on sparkplugs???

Tom Crews

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I was just wondering if there was any power to be had from copper to platinum or iridium. I just went copper.... thanks for the help guys!!

well, it fixed my high rpm cut out, maybe this friday I can get a good time with some MPH!! I ran a 13.1 last friday with a 2.18 60' at a lowsy 100.08. This shows some major potential to me, this was granny shifting at 5800!!! hope to show a deep 12 sec pass soon! By the way the 60' was no concern at the time, It was the first pass with the new set up and was on street tires. I will be in the 1.8 range next time!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts