Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know if you haven't gapped your plugs u should. Especially if they are bosch. They are such crap. I had the cheapest bosch plugs 99 cents each.

I just pulled them out to check them because i have been having a stutter problem at high rpms which is most lieky the ignition module.

But anyway, to be on the safe side i replaced them with some ac delco plugs $1.25 each. I began to check the gap on the bosch plugs and all of them were between .060-.070. my god!!

Its supposed to be .054, and bosch plug are gapped from the factory. Never trust plugs that say they are gapped. NEVER.

I gapped the new plugs, stuck them in and immedietly noticed i gained a huge amount of torque and was able to spin the tires extremely easy now. Night and day difference. ALWAYS check and gap your plugs. It only costs like 99 cents for the tool.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Do you think all spark plug manufacturers gap the plugs according to Ford Mustang specs? People use different gaps for different applications. I don't know why anyone would not gap their plugs before installing them.

·
Registered
471 Posts
depending on how many miles are on those plugs, they could just be "worn" which increases the gap.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't feel sorry for you 1 bit massguy. That's what you get for buying bosch plugs. If you run Ford factory heads get the motorcraft or autolite plugs gap them per your sticker under the hood. .052-.056

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry but the bosch supers were the cheapest autozone had. They didn';t even have autolites and i was low on cash. Bosch gaps their plugs for each vehicle individually.

Even if it wasn't gapped it shouldnt be at .060. I bought ac delco plugs and they were gapped at the minimum, not some large gap.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mikejb said:
I don't feel sorry for you 1 bit massguy. That's what you get for buying bosch plugs. If you run Ford factory heads get the motorcraft or autolite plugs gap them per your sticker under the hood. .052-.056
theres no sticker under my hood....lol

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
massguy1980 said:
sorry but the bosch supers were the cheapest autozone had. They didn';t even have autolites and i was low on cash. Bosch gaps their plugs for each vehicle individually.
Parts stores aren't only place you can go to buy spark plugs. Walmart carries the Autolites, Champions, Delcos, & the other ones which are a waste of money period (Splitfires). They are sold in 2-packs. $1.98 each for the Autolites. Bosch CANNOT gap each plug individually for for a certain type of vehicle. There are so many vehicles that share the same part # plug running different gaps to meet emissions standards for each specific kind of vehicle. It would not be cost effective for any corporation to put a different part # on the same plug for each type of vehicle. Those plugs that you see at stores that say "pre-gapped" need to be checked before you install them, regardless. You have to gap them if the measurement is off.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree all plugs should be checked, but bosch does gap their plugs for each vehicle. It says so autozones computer and another automotive store around here. It says

** ALREADY GAPPED FROM THE FACTORY - DO NOT RE-GAP **

Of course i wont ever trust a plug that says that anymore.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You do realize that the plugs that fit our 302 fords fit SBC's, right? They are gapped usually at around .060 for newer HEI ignitions. Gapping them yourself shouldn't even be a question. And for what it's worth, Bosch sparkpugs are garbage. Christ, I'd put NGK's in my car before Bosch plugs that I got for free.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i agree. never buying bosch ever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts