Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed lately my car has been sparknocking. I put cheap 87 gas in which probley didnt help any. But I just started as the weather got warmer. Its been 85-93 degrees everyday last past week. Car is running a little hot between R & M in NORMAL. I need to change out the thromstat. Will that help? What should I do?:confused:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Hey, yea while ur at it go and put in a 160 thermastat, i doubt thatl will make the diference ur looking for. My 94 GT ran around the R and M in NORMAL also, after i put in the 180, didnt do a thing. Check all ur hoses while running,see if any are leaking.
and if all else fails, do the Manual fan switch trick. Its very easy, and helped my car run at a solid N in NORMAL all day long, in Floridas 85-95 degreee heat, With the highspeed fan on in stop and go traffic i havent had it go past O once. Look up the Fan switch instal on www.sn95.com, i know thats the old url, but it will redirect u to ther newer url. Look under TECH , then ARTICLES then ull see Manual fan switch.. somthin like that. that should set u alot cooler if u decide to do it.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Don't buy cheap gas anymore.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yeah I have the same problem in th arizona summers I have to run 100 octane.

·
Registered
452 Posts
poostang said:
Hey, yea while ur at it go and put in a 160 thermastat,
Don't use a 160, they are to cold.

If the thermostat is bad and the engine is running hotter and replacing it will help prevent detonation. You might also want to check the ECT sensor. You have checked your timing right, if you are having a detonation problem you should verify it is set correctly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I have not checked my timing. How do you check it? With a timing light? I heared that the 94-95 had a different way or something? Yeah If I put in a 160 thermostat it will run like sh!t

·
Registered
452 Posts
1) Remove the spout connector. Located under the air box on the passenger side, it is a little grey plug.

2) Mark the timing marks on the balancer with chalk or something, they can be hard to read.

3) Loosen the distributor hold down bolt.

4) Shine the timing light at the balancer and read the timing, you turn the distributor to raise or lower the timing. Sorry I can not remember which way does what.

The stock timing is 10*BTDC, you should be able to run as much as 14*BTDC using premium gas.

5) Tighten the distributor hold down bolt

6) REPLACE THE SPOUT, Very important do not forget this step as your car will run poorly.

7) Take a test drive and make sure you do not have any detonation, repeat the process if you want more timing or have some detanation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts