Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the middle of a third gear pull and about 6k something let go I felt it. then heard like a whistle type noise swooshing maybe not blower whine.. oil pressure and water is good. no ticking or knocking car idles fine and free revs fine but driving the car hits a wall at 2k and just lugs and cuts out and sounds like ass.. any ideas? Its dark out but I am thinking maybe blew the powerpipe off. took a glance but nothing was obvious.. also no CE light.. I guess first question is.. if I spun a bearing.. would I loose oil pressure.. when I free rev the motor the exhaust sounds the same but when drive with load as soon as it hits 2k it sounds like all hell.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just went outside and started it.. seems like the idle is alot more lopey and i am missing a few lbs of vacumn.. any idea on what would come lose under boost vacumn wise?

·
Registered
303 Posts
i had a similar situation once, one of my inlet tube clamps into the throttle body stripped, it was still in place just not tight anymore...
also check your bypass valve and all your other clamps.

What block do you run?
Also what fuel system do you use? FMU?
Good luck! Sam

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Sounds to me like your Discharge tube came off.The exact same thing happened to me when I took my first testride with my new blower.You need to invest in some GOOD T-Bolt style clamps from Summit if this is the case...Hope this is all that happened...

Jeff

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yup, had the same thing happen. Blew the hose off the bypass valve once and it made a big pop. It starting surging and drove rough. Good clamps would be a smart move.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what I am hoping for.. you guys are going to make me sleep alot easier with that being said

fuel system is intank 255 t-rex inline and after market lines and rails from the engine compartment forward.. running a 4:1 fmu with the 42s.. I start loosing pressure around 5900 rpms.. but on the dyno at 6100rpms it was still at 11.4:1 a/f

stock block holding strong.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If it's not the powerpipe or blower discharge tube, if you run the cork intake manifold end gaskets, check them to make sure they didnt blow out on you. Happens sometimes with blown cars and a lot of boost. If that did happen, when you put it back together, use a thick bead of RTV instead of the cork gaskets, that holds much better.

Hope this helps,
Jim

·
Registered
676 Posts
Racer LX said:
If it's not the powerpipe or blower discharge tube, if you run the cork intake manifold end gaskets, check them to make sure they didnt blow out on you. Happens sometimes with blown cars and a lot of boost.
While I agree on using a thick bead of RTV in place of the cork end gaskets, that has nothing to do with the air intake system on the car. If those were to blow out it would only effect the PCV system. Blowing those out would mean the motor has a terrible amount of blowby, not good.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I hear ya, you figure that they have nothing to do with the air let tract, but we've blown them out on cars, and for whatever reason, the car ran like @ss after. Maybe they let the intake shift just enough to unseal the intake port gaskets, I dunno. Just going by past experience, crazy as it sounds.

Jim

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The same thing happened to me, I almost had a heart attack.

First drive with the built 306 and Procharger D1... got on it a little, boost started to climb, and then POOF - it made a horrible noise, and started sputtering. I almost died.

Limped it back to the shop and, sure enough, one of the hose clamps had let go and the tubing had seperated. With an intercooled procharger there are tons of tube junctions, so I'm sure this isn't the first time it has happened to someone :)

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that was my first thought.. but no bubbles in radiator and no coolant on the ground and temp didnt spike on the limp home

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Neither did mine, a compression test was also perfect. I decided to take the heads off and check as I could not find anything else wrong - sure enough.

Check your plugs as well. If one is wet or washed it is your HG.

Ian

·
Registered
22 Posts
A leak down will tell you!(or More)Much better then a comp. test.
Imo?I agree with what has been said above,You might have
blown something off or out?Check everything!!
Good Luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts