Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not setting the world on fire but wanted to share some data, most everything in my build was used or budget so it's not a great NA combo.

347 big bore (4 1/8" bore size) about 8.9:1 compression
AFR185 heads
Trick flow R intake with porting from previous owner
1 5/8" long tubes, 2.5 x pipe and full 2.5 exhaust with flow masters
75mm fox throttle body
FTI cam, spec'd for NA daily driver use, ~.600" lift on intake and exhaust

Tires were mickey thompson 28 x 10.5 bias plys with 27" skinnies - car probably wants a 26" but plan is to put more power in.

3.73 rear gear, T56 mag trans geared at 2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1, .80, .63 - coming through traps in 4th gear

Car is mostly full interior, scales at 3,400 with me in it and half tank of fuel. 3,200 without driver.

Calculators put the car around 390whp which seems correct to me. Trying to get an 11.99 out of it before winter.

Receipt Font Paper Number Paper product

·
Registered
445 Posts
Good numbers, and still naturally aspirated! Last time I went to the track those new 2018/2019 10 speed Mustangs were running a touch slower, something like 12.4x-12.25 @ 114 but at night with good air. I'd much rather be driving a Fox/SN that is able to run with the new stuff!
What do you plan on doing to it to try and get that 11 sec. pass?

Reactions: awing

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That time was all in the 60 foot, if I can hook that up again when the prep is fresh I think it'll do it. AFR was 13ish for the run so it needs a bit of fuel. Timing isn't dialed yet, I need to add and see where the MPH goes. My tailpipes are not fitting correctly, thinking about dumping before the axle and then rebuild them properly later but that would save weight. Bunch of little things I can do to get that extra.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,258 Posts
That time was all in the 60 foot, if I can hook that up again when the prep is fresh I think it'll do it. AFR was 13ish for the run so it needs a bit of fuel. Timing isn't dialed yet, I need to add and see where the MPH goes. My tailpipes are not fitting correctly, thinking about dumping before the axle and then rebuild them properly later but that would save weight. Bunch of little things I can do to get that extra.
what track? epping street night?

i'd get all the "bunch of little things" sorted out first, so you can have more fun at the track.
at least that's always been my approach.

why not put the car on the dyno and dial it it in?
(you have dez right near you)

the 28" tire and 373s aren't helping you, neither is the 10.5" tire
26x9 is plenty for your combo and would make it faster

Reactions: Saleen414

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
681 Posts
Your engine is making great power. Not the problem. Tire height, gearing, vehicle weight, and severe lack of compression are holding it back on motor. Great starting point and I bet it pulled hard when in gear. Shifts slowed it down no doubt

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what track? epping street night?

i'd get all the "bunch of little things" sorted out first, so you can have more fun at the track.
at least that's always been my approach.

why not put the car on the dyno and dial it it in?
(you have dez right near you)

the 28" tire and 373s aren't helping you, neither is the 10.5" tire
26x9 is plenty for your combo and would make it faster
Yes, this was street night at New England Dragway. I'm getting all the time in I can working on launching the car before the season ends in 2 weeks.

The tune is pretty good, I've been adjusting it myself after Steven/a91what (at the other forum) remote tuned me to start. My street driving never really touched those top end areas of the map enough for me to adjust there but I started getting it right too late in the session at the track. Not going to dyno tune it yet - I would love to see a number though, this winter I'm hoping to build a turbo kit for the car and change a lot of things anyways. Of course I've been saying that for 3 years now, last year was kind of a loss for me making any progress on the car.

The turbo plan is the reason for the lower compression, this was always my "street car" project and I don't have anything better than 91/93 gas around that's convenient. I can go out of my way for E85 for track days and keep the boost low on the street. Rings are already gapped for it, just the cam isn't ideal but I can deal with that.

I never would have guessed the car could touch a bottom 12 pass, I was shooting for 12.5 and go home happy.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Fellow New Englander.. Good luck on your quest for 11's before the end of the season. I'm on the same mission. Are your tires DOT? I always thought slicks were a no go there on Wednesday night.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fellow New Englander.. Good luck on your quest for 11's before the end of the season. I'm on the same mission. Are your tires DOT? I always thought slicks were a no go there on Wednesday night.
I think it used to be that way, but no I do not have DOT tires. The racer's handbook PDF on their site now says "Slicks allowed on Wednesday & Friday night. No bald tires allowed." but there is conflicting info posted to other parts of the site. I was still wondering driving up there if I was going to be sent home. Wed was so much better than Fridays I've been to, less busy, I could run back to back basically hot lapping if I wanted to.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think it used to be that way, but no I do not have DOT tires. The racer's handbook PDF on their site now says "Slicks allowed on Wednesday & Friday night. No bald tires allowed." but there is conflicting info posted to other parts of the site. I was still wondering driving up there if I was going to be sent home. Wed was so much better than Fridays I've been to, less busy, I could run back to back basically hot lapping if I wanted to.
Good to know thanks! Trying to fight traffic Friday is brutal. I've been racing there since 1997 and it used to be DOT tires on Wednesday so I always skipped it once I went to slicks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you powershifting? How much total timing are you running at wot?
No, and it's going to take some practice to retrain myself to. There's a flatfoot shift feature on MS3, I just have to give it the VSS from the transmission to get it working with launch control - another thing on the todo list.

Timing is at 32 degrees at 6500PRM, wot with 91 gas.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,258 Posts
93 octane is readily available in Massachusetts, so why are you running 91?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
No, and it's going to take some practice to retrain myself to. There's a flatfoot shift feature on MS3, I just have to give it the VSS from the transmission to get it working with launch control - another thing on the todo list.

Timing is at 32 degrees at 6500PRM, wot with 91 gas.
You will run 11’s easy unless you jump straight to your turbo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rpm at the stripe??
I don't actually know exactly, my tachometer is flaky up in that range and I rely on a shift light. Based on calcs, including tire growth I'm coming through around 5,000 rpm. So, I'm not geared optimally but I'm leaving this a street/strip setup and I like my 3.73 on the highway.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't actually know exactly, my tachometer is flaky up in that range and I rely on a shift light. Based on calcs, including tire growth I'm coming through around 5,000 rpm. So, I'm not geared optimally but I'm leaving this a street/strip setup and I like my 3.73 on the highway.
Im curious how much power you would gain with 1 3/4 headers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts