Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the pics don't show up, check them out here:
http://www.blwncpe.corral.net/photo.html

The install went pretty easy. I am still looking for some small screws to hold on my dash pod, I lost the one's I had...

The oil gauge is mechanical, so I'm going to be using a copper line that goes directly to the stock sender. I had to run a T fitting in there because I also have a warning light. I'll post pics of that set-up later.

Any suggestions on the best wire to tap for a 12 volt switched light source?

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
power source.......

Remove your headlight switch and tie into the light blue with red stripe wire. This will also allow you to dim the gauge lights along with the dash lights.....nice set up by the way......STEVE

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Those are the bigger of the 2 gauges right? 2 5/8 I think? Looks really good. Hard to tell but is that the full pillar or the partial one? How did it fit?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
faster,

Thanks for the info on the wire. That's a good idea, I find the gauges are a little bright at night, so being able to dim them down is perfect. Can I just tap into that line with a connector?

That is a dual pillar pod, with 2 5/8" gauges. I had a full pillar, with three 2 1/16" gauges, but in all honesty, they were a little too small for me (at least the boost gauge was, it was hard to read it.) I opted for one less gauge on the pillar, and stepped up the size. It's perfect for me.

The gauge pod on the pillar actually fit pretty good. I actually took the A-pillar moulding right off the car, fitted the pod, and drilled the holes. That's the best way to do it, rather than trying to screw it on in the car. The kit came with plastic inserts to attach the pod, but I opted to use some black screws instead. I used 2 screws on the side closest to the door, and 4 on the side facing the windshiled. It was buckling up a little on that side, so I used a few extra screws to flatten it out.

I guess I could have done some cutting to make it fit *perfect*, but as it came, the fit was damn good.

I will also be adding a fuel pressure gauge on the cowl, so I'll have pics of that up in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P.S.

What is the best wire to tap into for a 12 volt power source?

And the instructions say to ground the gauges to an engine ground. Do I need to do this (and if so where), or can I just ground it out to an existing hole in the floorpan?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just bought a fuse tap, but you can probably tap in to a hot wire going to the radio.

Chad

·
Registered
272 Posts
I tapped into the light source by the heating controls, which are controlled by the dimmer. Just another option for ya.

As for the ground, I think I just tapped into the radio ground. No problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
BlwnCpe, this is where I made my connections. As mentioned before, the 12V lighting is the light blue wire with red stripe at the headlight switch. Yes, I just used a 3M tap in connector with all these connections. For my switched 12V source, I removed the defroster switch and tapped into the purple with orange stripe wire. I verified this with my digital voltmeter. While I had the hazard/ defroster switch out, I also tapped into the single black wire which provides the perfect ground. So far, no problems and it was so much easier than feeding the wires to the fusebox. Hope this helps........STEVE

·
Registered
126 Posts
ttt before its gone...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Very, very nice!!! :joy:

I have contemplated the tach pod, too. Problem is I already have the three 2 1/16" on the pillar and three in the vents. Friends bust my balls now that I have 6 in there. I don't know what else I could put in there, lol!!!

Do you need to drill holes in the dash for the tach pod? That is the thing really holding me back right now.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dash pod does come with screws that you can use to attach the pod to the dash...

But just get some of that 3M double sided tape, and it will be just fine. As long as no-one is going to be grabbing at the thing it won't come off. I drilled the holes on the dash of my old Mustang, and really wish I hadn't. You don't need to!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks for the info!!!!

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts