Ford Mustang Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

· Registered
4,462 Posts
Hundreds of thousands of these AC circuits were made, and worked perfectly without a “pusher” fan in the front.

if you have an obstruction reducing airflow, clear the obstruction.

to me, your pressures are off.
What are you using as a guide to determine the high/ low pressure relative to ambient/ humidity?

· Registered
2,890 Posts
Hundreds of thousands of these AC circuits were made, and worked perfectly without a “pusher” fan in the front.

What are you using as a guide to determine the high/ low pressure relative to ambient/ humidity?
In my opinion, the biggest problem is a 3 core radiator. I believe its killing flow across the radiator which in turn kills flow across the condenser which causes the high side to be higher than normal compared to low side pressures. I ran a stock style radiator for quite a long time. Even with a blower. Adding a 331 with a turbo is when I finally needed an upgrade.

Reactions: HYBRED

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·

Your typical automotive ac gauge pressure set. It’s a buddy of mines set

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
In my opinion, the biggest problem is a 3 core radiator. I believe its killing flow across the radiator which in turn kills flow across the condenser which causes the high side to be higher than normal compared to low side pressures. I ran a stock style radiator for quite a long time. Even with a blower. Adding a 331 with a turbo is when I finally needed an upgrade.
I think the radiator is the biggest factor as well as overall heat soak

· Registered
2,890 Posts
I think the radiator is the biggest factor as well as overall heat soak
Have you thought about just getting an oem style radiator from the local parts store? The stock radiator in most cases is more than sufficient.

· Registered
4,462 Posts
In my opinion, the biggest problem is a 3 core radiator. I believe its killing flow across the radiator which in turn kills flow across the condenser which causes the high side to be higher than normal compared to low side pressures. I ran a stock style radiator for quite a long time.
I agree that thicker radiators reduce airflow, but if that were his issue then his coolant temperatures would be higher,

The air is pulled through the condenser first, then the radiator, and there seems to be plenty of airflow over the radiator core.

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I agree that thicker radiators reduce airflow, but if that were his issue then his coolant temperatures would be higher,

The air is pulled through the condenser first, then the radiator, and there seems to be plenty of airflow over the radiator core.
It’ll struggle a bit more on a hot day versus when it’s not as cool. When temps go over 100 ambient coolant temps never really drop below 180 degrees. Usually it’s able to cook itself off to 170° where I have the fans set to turn off. They come back on at 180° On the highway it’ll sit at around 175° on really hot days with the ac not running and with it running it’ll sit at around 185-190

· Registered
2,890 Posts

The radiator is more efficient but pulling air through 3 cores is going to slow down the air velocity. The air passing thru the condenser is less than it would normally be with a stock radiator.

· Registered
4,462 Posts
Right, but his coolant temps are 20°-25° Cooler than normal.

sounds like he has plenty of airflow over both cores.

· Registered
11 Posts
Keep in mind that the A/C works MUCH harder to lower the humidity in the air than it does to lower the temperature. If you run on recirc for 15 to 20 minutes and then the temperature starts to come down, your system might be good. If the weather is humid, and 80% is WAY humid, you should always run on recirculating.

· Registered
4,462 Posts
But you had changed the orifice tube at the beginning as well, correct?

different brand tube this time?
Vacuum, System recharge ?

· Registered
4,462 Posts
That just goes to prove that new parts don’t mean they are good parts.

did you bother with the pressure readings this time?

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
That just goes to prove that new parts don’t mean they are good parts.

did you bother with the pressure readings this time?
I was able to hook up some gauges and the pressures read fine. its been a bit cooler out too but we did the fill in around 80 degree temps and still got good vent temps.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts