Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody in here do any hill climbing? Whats it like? Advise for someone looking to get involved. I'm already a SCCA member and have a rule book. How do I get a license. I used to have a road race license, new kids and home prohibit road racing right now, but I need the rush that only comes from racing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There's a lot of hillclimb's around your area from what I hear. I race Solo I and hillclimb's here in the southeast. Hillclimb's usually come under the Solo I banner. Check the SCCA website. They have links to each regions website. From there you should be able to find the region's Solo I coordinator/director. You might also check NASA's website. They sanction speed trials and possibly some hillclimb's.

Solo I requires the same safety equipment as club racing. Although, depending on class, you can use a rollbar instead of a full cage. You will need an SA95 or newer helmet, SFI-5 rated clothing or SFI-1 clothing with FR underwear, FR socks, leather or FR gloves and shoes. You will also need an SFI-rated harness.

Contact your region Solo I director for licensing. If you have road racing, HPDE, open track experience, they will probably allow you to get a Solo I license. They may require you to run a few events as a novice before they sign off on you. Some regions put on a Solo I school for licensing. You will need to join the SCCA and get a physical exam.

By the way, I don't think the SCCA allows only licensed drivers in hillclimb's. In other words, no novice's.

Howard Bennett
Racer Wholesale

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Howard, anyone else?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Drew, I did my first hillclimb this past summer in Wilkes Barre, PA. It was the Giants Despair climb. And yes you CAN drive these as a novice. Just check up on all the rules and reg's.Go to this website..... PA HILLCLIMB and start reading. On edit.....also check out BMR SCCA

-Pete

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pete, how many runs did you get? What class did you run? What was it like? Thanks, Drew.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Drew said:
Pete, how many runs did you get? What class did you run? What was it like? Thanks, Drew.
Drew,
It was quite the experience. I was the youngest one racing there(19 at the time) so I think that there was some friction from some of the older drivers when I continuosly dropped seconds after each run. That particular course was one of the more popular ones with me reaching speeds in excess of 110mph by turn 1. It also has a vast history...nearly 100 yrs at this venue. I ran in American sedan as my car is completely gutted,caged,the works. Mostly everyone runs on slicks including me(275/40/17 all around). I got about 5 runs saturday including the 2 practice runs. Sunday there was no "schedualed" practice runs. Saturday's timed runs I did pretty well....59.9, 59.7, and dropped to a 57 by the end of the day. Sunday was eventful as I went out there and ran a solid 55 sec. run with no practice. Due to overheating problems my 100,000 mile stock motor, I had to put an end to the racing sunday and pack it up after I blew my head gaskets. My motor consisted of minor bolt ons including a GT-40 Intake, LT headers and Off road H-pipe. Gearing wise you need at least 3:73's out back. I had the worst gearing for this course with the stock 2:73's out back. Now if I would have had at least 3:55's I am certain I would have been at least 2 seconds faster. All in all it was a great atmosphere and having to sign autographs for fans is a GREAT ego boost.

Pete

On Edit: You do need a helmet,racing suit,gloves,etc.... You could get a novice SOLO I liscense with just a drivers liscense though. I would definately check one out first. If you have no racing experience, try something else first or just take it VERY EASY at first. There's nothing to prove and its definately NOT cool wrecking your first time out.. This was my first race, but I did do Skip Barber when I was 18(outdriving the majority of the class with a few exceptions....my father and a few(4) others. Got a LOT of dirty looks from the older guys with big chips on their shoulders. LOTS OF FUN.) And for anyone wondering, I am NOT a spoiled rich kid, I had to work my ass off for everything I have and build my car up mostly by myself with a few friends helping when they could. AND, Im still in college. It does help, however, having a father that supports your hobby.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again Pete, maybe if I get my act together I'll see you on the hill this year, Drew.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wish I could say the same....but i have a few things i have to do first (new motor,baer brakes,new cage(nascar bars) and some more hacking to do to fit a 22gallon ATL fuel cell) Good luck though.

-Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts