Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friend is working on his ranger and wants a cam that he can drive every cruise night but looking to skim 10.90s with his combo.
1990 ranger
393 cu in windsor
11.5:1 comp
scat cast crank
eagle h beam rods
Victor junior heads, springs good to .700
Victor jr intake ported
crane roller conversion with spyder, uses stock style lifters 2" custom headers to 3 1/2" collector with extension and 3" ultra flos dumped.
da vinci carb (950 cfm?)

c4 with brake, ati convertor.

as of right now he has an explorer 8.8 with a f150 31 spline trac loc with stock 3.73 gears(will upgrade). 28H"x10.5"x15" tire

minitubbed with a 10 pt with sill bars.

he was looking at the afm n-111 grind. i told him to look at a small solid roller but he wasn't a fan of that since a few people we know at the track grenaded their motors last season from roller fulcrums breaking into the motor and the machinework for the spyder would be useless.

·
Registered
229 Posts
A small roller grind is no more likely to grenade then a hydraulic(actually less). I have run a solid roller without a stud girdle for years with no problems and virtually no valve adjustments needed. I run it to 8000rpm all the time. You CAN get one that will break parts, but the typical solid roller will not. The hydraulic will limit your rpm range, although lightweight(titanium) valvetrain parts will extend it a little. Roller fulcrums breaking sounds more like a rocker arm problem then a cam problem.

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
Heck..with a decent mild solid roller he could probably run mid 10's n/a. I would look into a custom cam...have your buddy give Ed at FTI a call. Ed will spec one up to do what your friend wants.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts