Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of using a solid roller cam this year. Is there much upkeep on them? The car is driven daily, and has a 393 in it. I take it to the track a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had to adjust my rockers once after the initial install. I heard for years, they're high maintanence, but this hasn't been the case with mine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I run a big solid-roller in a dragboat, and like Anut said after the part wear in initially adjustment will drop off dramaticaly. One thing you have to rember is that all adjustments should be made with the engine at operating temp to allow for expansion of the heads and block. I do however use a stud girdle which further locks in adjustments and reduces flexing of the studs against 850# springs. Its been my experience that adjustments needed usually point towards some other problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It depends on the cam profile, if it's a full boogy race cam, the valve springs and guides will wear and need replace more often. but if it's a mild street grind, like the ones that comp cams grinds, an occational lash adjustment is about it. if you find that you have to adjust often pull the lifters and check the roller for bearing wear. try to find a tight lash cam for street use as well, or the noise will drive you insane.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts