Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear that a solid roller camshafts are made of harder stuff than hydraulic roller cams. Furthermore, I hear that this harder material is incompatible with the standard distributor gear and that it must be replaced with a bronze-based gear. To make matters worse, I hear that a bronze distributor gear lasts around 1000miles, which is a deal breaker for me. But the good news is that some companies fit an iron gear on the solid roller shafts. The bad news is that I can't find any info on this from the various cam companies.

If I really want to run a solid roller, how much durabilty (distributor gear and otherwise) am I going to have to give away. I don't mind the periodic checking of gaps and such but I do not want to have to replace gears and rebuild rollers every < 20,000miles. Is that possible?????

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
The GOOD bronze gears last a lot longer than that.....

you are really talking/referring to the distributor /cam gear.
the way this is posted, it at first sounded like you wanted to know about the cam drive "time-ing" gear.....

the problem is with the cheapo versions that have been made reciently.....
there is a small oil hole than can be added if you think that there is a problem...
there were a number of people that had wear problems,
but, I think most were from improper alignment of the hole,improper backlash,rough surfaces on the teeth of cam...etc...

I have never had a problem.....
thick oil and high oil pressure can make the gear no matter what it is,...to wear faster than stock.
iron gear flakes and powder residue is a LOT more bad to the rest of the engine than a few flakes from a phosphor-bronze gear......

·
Registered
600 Posts
A good MSD will last you a year or so. You may want to consider running a hyd roller cam with solid lifters. Lighter spring pressure, mild lash, more power over hyd. lifters.

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
I run a comp cams street solid roller grind...XR286R....they recommend a steel gear for them...so I'm just using the stock gear that came on my 88 efi distributer..no problems.

·
Registered
556 Posts
CStraub said:
A good MSD will last you a year or so. You may want to consider running a hyd roller cam with solid lifters. Lighter spring pressure, mild lash, more power over hyd. lifters.

Chris

Could you explain this a little more? i understand that a soild roller cam is ground different that a hyd-roller cam, and that a sollid roller cam give you a faster ramp speed. but im not sure i understand what benifits it would be to mix the two cams.
Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
You use a hyd roller cam. . .mild ramps and flanks so that the excessive spring pressure is not needed and doesn't beat the lifters to death while idling. Using the solid lifters on the cam you set a light lash of say 10 and 12 this gives you the clearance for the opening ramp of the lobe. . . using the solid lifter you don't loose power due to hydraulics. Engine builders cheated with this set up for years in NHRA stocker classes.

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. So does anyone have any experience with the new polymer distributor gears, ala Comp Cams?

Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think the TC89LX has used that new polymer gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts