Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am going to sell this thing, I thought about keeping it forever as its a one-of-a kind piece and was very expensive to make. But its sitting in my shop collecting dust when some lucky guy could be out making HP with what looks like a stock motor.
Its a 5.0 FI intake that has been ported to the max by professionals. I spent alot of time working this into an intake that easily made over 300 wheel HP in a very mild motor.
The lower has been ported and welded, opened up as far as you can practically do so. At the intake flange the ports are 1250 sized, but the size runs through the intake all the way to the plenum with a slight taper.
The upper was cut in half (see pics), and everything on the plenum side of the weld scar was removed. So, its runner length was dramatically shortened and the plenum opened up. The weld scar is not apparent from the top, so it looks completely stock. As I recall, I used a 70 or 75 mm TB on it, but it can be opened up a little more if needed.
Ron at Fox Lake welded every runner on the lower and ported it, the work is amazing. The upper was done by Steve Sanchez at Total Flow Products to match.
This intake flows as well as a ported Cobra, and will make just as much or more power as an edelbrock performer and similar intakes.
For serious buyers I can take more pictures.
$450 plus shipping IMG_0182.JPG IMG_0183.JPG IMG_0185.JPG IMG_0186.JPG IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0190.JPG

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,021 Posts
Was anything done to the S bend in the upper? Amazing work done to that intake!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was anything done to the S bend in the upper? Amazing work done to that intake!
Its still there, but we ported it as much as feasible. One thing you could do is to cut it off and modify it further with more fabrication like a straight tube, etc. Not sure you would gain a whole lot.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Comes with modified upper to lower gasket. And two other stock gaskets that can be modified to work (opened up for the larger runners).

·
Registered
90 Mustang 5.0 5spd, 400+ HP
71 Posts
I get the sleeper idea, and I guess that answers my next question.

But why the hell spend that much $$ for ALL that custom work, when you probably could have bought a better, newer designed, and higher HP capable intake manifold, for probably less than what you spent on that ugly thing?

Unless there's a secret racing spot in the country where you can win $5-10k in one sleeper race, I don't get it.

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,021 Posts

But why the hell spend that much $$ for ALL that custom work, when you probably could have bought a better, newer designed, and higher HP capable intake manifold, for probably less than what you spent on that ugly thing?

Unless there's a secret racing spot in the country where you can win $5-10k in one sleeper race, I don't get it.
It was his money bro, that's why were all different. If everybody in this world did the same thing everyone else did, it would be a lame ass planet to live on. Plus theres no reasoning for your post in this guys for sale thread except to bash him for not buying a aftermarket intake. Not trying to be a dick but personal opinions about someone else's property they have for sale up here should be kept to yourself.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I did it because I wanted to. I build 2-4 engines a year, this year one with Greg Browns heads on it. For fun.

It was a blast to build and drive at the time. I had one of the first sets of AFR 185's on it, shorty headers., a stealth cam, it sounded like a stocker but put nearly 350 to the tire. The entire car looked stock, but ran like a raped ape. I wished I had kept it that way.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
ndmp40. This is a pretty cool piece. Did you ever have it flow tested? This is how people made power back in the day. It's just too easy today, the aftermarket had several decades to perfect their sbf products.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts