Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls im in a predicament. I have a 97 GT with a 03 cobra swap in it and I want the meanest sound I can get and as loud as I can get. Currently it has stock manifolds and BBK offroad X-pipe and stock mufflers. I have had Magna Flow Magnapacks and a UPR offroad X on my previous GT and it sounded pretty good. I have heard some sound clips online of some borla XR-1's and Stingers but having a hard time choosing the meanest sound I can acheive without doing headers right now. I will in the future but the funds just can't support it at this time. I have heard some Corsa stuff and some Bassani stuff. I also loke the SLP LM1 and the classic Flowmaster. Will you guys give me some input on what I can do. I don't mind changing the x-pipe either so give me your input. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Forget about the mufflers and do a 45 degree straight pipe side exit right off the X pipe. It doesn't get much louder or meaner than that.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Flowmasters for the win!
I've had mac, borla, magnapack.. classic flowmaster are money.
I can post a sound clip of the car later when I get home, its pretty sick.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forget about the mufflers and do a 45 degree straight pipe side exit right off the X pipe. It doesn't get much louder or meaner than that.
Tempting but in Michigan you have to have a complete exhaust that goes at least past the rear axle. But I agree it would be pretty insane.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flowmasters for the win!
I've had mac, borla, magnapack.. classic flowmaster are money.
I can post a sound clip of the car later when I get home, its pretty sick.
That would be great if you could please. I am almost thinking of just picking up a set of Kooks with there offroad x-pipe and doing the Borla XR-1's. But that runs about $1950

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am starting to lean towards Borla. I can't decide on headers I would love a set of Kooks but they are really pricey. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have Bassani and it sounds great. Exhaust is such a personal thing. My opinion, just keep watching videos until you find something you absolutely like. A Ford Racing Catback might be the meanest.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
If you have to go with mufflers forget the Flows and go with something straight through like the Borlas. Flows=restriction and drone.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am going to get blasted for this but.......In my opinion straight through mufflers sound like rice.
Flows have the traditional muscle sound, maybe 2hp at most in difference by restriction, but that back pressure is better for the motor and low end torque...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
It's a real subjective subject. I keep my motor wound up and love the sound of the 4v with an x and straight through mufflers when it's really revving. When I'm open tracking you can tell it's me just by the sound. There really isn't a right or wrong answer here.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I agree its mainly personal preference. I'm like the straight through sound. I loved my Magnapacks I had but I am just looking for something a little different. A little meaner. I would like to do LT headers. What ideas you guts have. I would love a set of Kooks but they are pricey. Are BBK or MAC just as good.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Longtube headers, full 3" exhaust, Spintech Sportsman streets. I have this setup on my car, and it sounds wicked.

·
Registered
974 Posts
you keep asking about headers...are you doing headers or a catback? or both? like previously posted, its all personal preferance. im in the same boat you are, cant decide what i want. i have been all over youtube and streetfire.net listening and trying to decide, also, try ninosport.com they have sound clips for most of the exhaust there as well. im pretty set on bbk longtubes, bbk x pipe, and the bassani cat back......but again, thats just me. the slp loudmouth kits are extremly loud and to me a little raspy. im looking for smoother, loud, decent tone kind of stuff. the magnapacks i had on my gt, but that was just a 2 valve motor. sounded ok.....flowmasters to me are everywhere, i want something that not every freakin mustang has. i want something to set me apart a little. anyone that has sound/video clips please post. we should make it a sticky once people start posting them.....

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
bassani hands down i think. but its just a opinion. I cant stand slp's personally i think they sound like crap not to mention they are very pricey

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you keep asking about headers...are you doing headers or a catback? or both? like previously posted, its all personal preferance. im in the same boat you are, cant decide what i want. i have been all over youtube and streetfire.net listening and trying to decide, also, try ninosport.com they have sound clips for most of the exhaust there as well. im pretty set on bbk longtubes, bbk x pipe, and the bassani cat back......but again, thats just me. the slp loudmouth kits are extremly loud and to me a little raspy. im looking for smoother, loud, decent tone kind of stuff. the magnapacks i had on my gt, but that was just a 2 valve motor. sounded ok.....flowmasters to me are everywhere, i want something that not every freakin mustang has. i want something to set me apart a little. anyone that has sound/video clips please post. we should make it a sticky once people start posting them.....
Well at first i was thinking of just doing a catback but I think now sense I am under the car might as well get it all done. Currently I am thinking BBK LT headers, a Leathal Performance Mid-pipe and Borla XR-1 cat-back. Does anyone disagree. If I had the money for Kooks I would love a set but don't have $900 for a set.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
BBK's are going to be a pain cause you need to drop one side to do a clutch but that's life. I am probably going to be a minority here but Mac makes the best scavenging inexpensive headers out there.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts