Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blower (kenne bell) goes on tomorrow or fri. I have had the 4:30's for about a year and they worked fine with the 75 shot but i never sprayed off the line. I still dont click off great times for a 60 ft but i was gettin 2.0's on some 245's. Not to bad. so should i go 4:10's or 3:73's now? I love the gear but dont know how well it will work with almost 400 HP all the time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
start in 2nd gear :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cant afford replacing DR's every year. not somethin i really wanna do.

·
Registered
275 Posts
get some separate rims for the dr's

·
Registered
461 Posts
I love my 4.30's with my vorteched 98 cobra also. only drops about a 1000 rpm between shifts oh baby. 98 cobra atlantic blue.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I just got my 4.30's installed when I put the solid axle in right before winter. The 1 day I got to drive it, I like them a lot. The 4.10's I had before were nice too...but I wanted a little more. I have a Vortech, so at low RPM I'm only making 1-3 lbs of boost until the RPM's start to climb...peaks at 12.8 lbs of boost.

With a KB though, you will see a lot of boost down low. So with the 4.30's you will most likely be roasting the tires at will:evil: Given that, you will be going through a lot of tires regardless. It's the price you pay for power I guess.

I would say, keep the 4.30's and see what you think...if you think it's too much gear, drop down to a 3.73 gear. It will cost you the same $$$$ regardless of when you change the gear out.

·
Registered
787 Posts
With the KB you'll probably be better off with 3.55's or even 3.27's. As mentioned, the torque off the line is going to eat your tires on a regular basis. That's going to prove to be a lot more expensive over time than the purchase and installation of a higher gearset.

BTW, don't discount the 3.27's too quickly just because that's what came stock in the car. Remember, the torque curve is totally different now and the 3.27's are likely a good solution that will offer better traction at launch (and we all know that's where you win and lose a race) and longer tire life.

My .02.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Dont know why people are responding with Centri blowers but anyways. I would stick with the 4.30's and the KB for a little while just to have some fun, then I'd swap down to 3.73's. But FWIW Jimmy Vacarro went 11.9 @ 119mph on dr's with a 400rwhp KB car and 4.10's.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Jimmy V's car was a 96...but same shiet

·
Registered
321 Posts
Guido in Da Cobra said:
Jimmy V's car was a 96...but same shiet
I have a 98 cobra with 4.10 gears and a KB blower. You will easily be able to smoke the tires in first gear. However, isn't that why you bought a KB in the first place?

Personally, I love the 4.10 and KB combination.

Paul

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Damn i couldnt imagine 4.30's in a roots style or centri style cobra....i have the stock gears and will probably use 3.73's....im still thinking that might me too much gear for the power....well see..

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had 4.30s before with a Vortech and my car seemed worthless, and didn't really feel like it pulled.

It still had no problem blowing the tires off through the gears either, so with a KB, I would hate to try and get off from a light without Drag Radials at the least. Maybe you could get some ET Streets??

FWIW, I have 3.55s now and I love them. Wouldn't want any more or any less.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
i don't get why you guys have such horrible traction problems

i made 493rwhp and 442 rwtq at 5900 rpm and with 275 drag radials i couldn't light up the tires in second gear.

I could make a real hard 1 to 2 shift and the tires would grab and go.

not complaining just wondering whats up.

·
Registered
321 Posts
To be honest, I agree with you. With the exception of first gear, I really don't have much traction issues. In second gear, I can light them up if I stomp on it, but if can easily control this by not going full throttle or simply easing into it a little. Of course, if I shift it hard from first to second, or second to third, I can spin the tires, but this is also easily avoided by simply letting off the throttle slightly while shifting.

I do enjoy being able to roast the tires in first gear at will and laying down a patch of rubber in second if I want. :evil:

99svt32v said:
i don't get why you guys have such horrible traction problems

i made 493rwhp and 442 rwtq at 5900 rpm and with 275 drag radials i couldn't light up the tires in second gear.

I could make a real hard 1 to 2 shift and the tires would grab and go.

not complaining just wondering whats up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I do enjoy being able to roast the tires in first gear at will and laying down a patch of rubber in second if I want.
Agreed:evil: :evil: :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a KB at 8psi with 4.30's and love it. Lots of fun, and I'm an OLD GUY, so you young studs should like it even MORE. I run Nitto DRs on the street and they hook up fairly well. At the track they can't do the job so I just got some ET Streets which I'm getting used to. Have fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts