Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 147 Posts

· Registered
11,244 Posts
Definitely reverse taper there........but let's see. We DISCOURAGE porting any GT40/Cobra/Explorer lower beyond a 1250 size head port but we get a lot of requests for 1262 - we try to discourage that and suggest better alternatives. I'm thinking Tony cuts length out of the upper to make up for larger cubes when a more appropriate intake suggestion is more in order. Kudos for the test 96pushrod!

· Registered
2,747 Posts
I'd suggest smoke testing it when you bolt it up..... Seen a few hogged out like that with some nice cracks and pin holes filled with jb weld and spray bombed on cars I've worked on recently. No idea who ported them though.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
not trying to be the one to start the pissing contest but im currious on what the turnaround time was on it and what stage it was. i understand it takes many months. also interested in cost

EGR port naturally bigger on those? almost looks it was also ported
As far as I know the EGR port is stock.

It takes a long time. On my review I did few years back I said 6-8 months for a stage 3. I have no idea now but I'm sure it's still a long time. Cost I don't know now but I'm going to guess $600-800 thats just my guess. I paid a little less than $600 but that was years ago.

My review

· Registered
2,747 Posts
Thats a crazy amount of filler in the throat of that intake Especially on the top by the egr flange, is it all weld or mostly epoxy? I have an old cobra upper the broke apart from a bad nitrous pop that doesn't look that screwed with lol.

· Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thats a crazy amount of filler in the throat of that intake Especially on the top by the egr flange, is it all weld or mostly epoxy? I have an old cobra upper the broke apart from a bad nitrous pop that doesn't look that screwed with lol.
Automotive tire Gas Rim Auto part Serveware

It looks like metal, at least inside.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Few pics This is pics he sent me when he was doing the work I had asked him how it was going and he sent me these.

People are going to hate I wanted a Cobra intake on my 93 Cobra with a max port job.

Personally I'm super pumped to see 96pushrod

Fluid Musical instrument Gas Snout Circle
Building Automotive tire Sculpture Wood Art
Laptop Computer Personal computer Automotive tire Tread
Water Liquid Metal Event Recipe

· Registered
2,747 Posts
Few pics This is pics he sent me when he was doing the work I had asked him how it was going and he sent me these.

People are going to hate I wanted a Cobra intake on my 93 Cobra with a max port job.

Personally I'm super pumped to see 96pushrod

View attachment 1094478 View attachment 1094479 View attachment 1094480 View attachment 1094481
Not hating, like I said I have one that's been welded up and treated the same way after a nitrous pop took out the plenum, I tried a bunch of stuff on it before welding it back up. The painted pics look like filler to me at least on the outside in the top throat area, if you look at the before/after pics there's more material there in the painted pic. A cheap needle scaler works pretty well for blending in the welds to a casting if that's what he was trying to in that top section.

· Registered
427 Posts
Looks good to me. I for one could care less what the under side of the intake looks like as long as it stays together. No one will ever notice that weld once it's on the car.

Looking forward to the numbers.

Reactions: Putyoutorest

· Registered
2,556 Posts
If you are going to weld on that intake, it needs to be done right. What they did is a waste of time. To do it right you need to take the bends out of the lower runners. What they did is not even half-*.
Plus the cross section area at the head is larger than that at the upper and lower junction, and of that on the entire upper runners. Did they port the upper runners all the way to the plenum? I dont see a weld scar where they cut it open to access that area.
The problem with those intakes is that the runners dont support anything more than a 1250 sized port, even if they are ported. But a blower can make up for alot of compromises.

· Old timer
7,028 Posts
Bernoulli's principle be damned!

· Registered
60 Posts
In for the info. Thanks for the testing

· Registered
4,457 Posts
Definitely reverse taper there........but let's see. We DISCOURAGE porting any GT40/Cobra/Explorer lower beyond a 1250 size head port but we get a lot of requests for 1262 - we try to discourage that and suggest better alternatives. I'm thinking Tony cuts length out of the upper to make up for larger cubes when a more appropriate intake suggestion is more in order. Kudos for the test 96pushrod!
That's what I worry about with a ported lower, how does it flow versus the upper. I'd like an intake ported for my 347, not an Explorer(I have one from you already), but hopefully with thoughtful care about tapering the ports sizes from the inlet and down, somewhat evenly.

I have an untouched Explorer upper plus that lower, and a used raw Edelbrock RPM II, and the one I want ported to use.

Reactions: tmoss
21 - 40 of 147 Posts