Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed but since all the posts got deleted, I can't find the answer:( . Their website is http://www.snowperformance.net/

Does anyone know if these things actually work? Anyone have one?

·
Registered
208 Posts
nooooo....the homemade water injection thread is gone too. I wanted to do that in the spring. A follow-up would be much appreciated :)

or just the parts list would be great

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree with MJ, the SMC kit is the bomb.. I have some pics of my kit that I just got recently. I havnt installed it yet but when I do I will do a complete write up as there arent any instructions geared towards mustangs.. only GN's.
I am setting up a group purchase with these units.. not sure how soon but I have gotten emails from a few corralers that are allready intersted.
BTW, the website dont reflect it but there was a 15.00 price increast.. up to 374
here are pix of my kit

http://www.katfishracing.com/donlx/

·
Registered
330 Posts
Don,

I'll be buying a kit in the next month or so - i'd love to be in on your group buy! If you can let us know when the buy will be, and what the price will be, that'd be great!

·
Registered
349 Posts
wanted to revive this thread- and post my review.
I ordered a Snow boost cooler unit, stage two for plans of running a sq trim on my 10:1 347, but as it turns out, im selling my car/sold the sc etc., but i found another use for it.

I have had two other cars with home made alc./water/methanol inj made from my windshield washer pump, and they have worked great, and been essentially free to make, but extremely hard to tune, as they are on or off, and getting the nozzle control was always tough.

with the snow unit, you can set a boost psi to turn the kit on, and the kit will operate at 50% pump speed at that level (about 100psi), and you can set a full on boost psi where the pump will be at 100% pressure (about 220psi), and the kit will ramp up accordingly in the boost levels between on and max.

Anyhow, i am using this kit on an MR2 Spyder, on which i have added a turbo... the spyder is just a little 1.8, but it is also 10:1 compression, (same as in celica gt, corolla, and others, designated the 1zz)- and as you may well guess, at that compression and on a stock engine, tuning is critical.

The install took about 3 hours as i wanted the install to be super stealthy and clean. Tuning took all of 20 minutes of playing on the street, and now i am runing with 14psi of boost, with 91 octane int the tank, and she i pulling like a champ (with 70% isopropyl alc in the tank).

Lesson is, if i did build that supercharged stang- the snow unit would have served it well, and its serving me well in my current combo. I would highly reccommend this on any boosted application.
It is easy to tune and work with, can run methanol, alc. and water with no ill effects, offers greater horsepower, and greater safety (against detonation)- truely the best of both worlds,- i highly endorse it, and cant reccommend it enough- especially for those who are pulling timing and or having to run overly rich on the street to keep from detonating
(btw, the little spyder is good for a 12.77 at lacr, and that was without the alc. injection, i can hardly wait to track it again)

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I use a stage one on mine ..But inject water only..It works GREAT. I see a 60+ degree drop in the inlet. And when you are only using that as a cooler .Thats a major difference...
My inlets temps never got over 138* in 6 dyno pulls back to back on 98* day ..

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I saw a guy with a turbo 87 supra and he use the smc kit. He remove the intercooler and put a chip with aggressive timing curve for race fuel. He 's using 91 octane pump gas and 14 psi. His car run low 13' wich is not incredible but still faster than the other supra's and he put less money in his project.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
my roommate uses it (pheonix88) on his PD blown 93 notch running 11psi (stock motor). he is running a 50/50 water/methanol mix, and with that has no problem leaving the timing at 26 with the BTM pulling out NO timing. he is experimenting with adding hobby nitro (i believe) next as a equivalent to a low nitrous shot.

so far he's really impressed with the kit....i will wait a while, yet as i'm still concerned about that jet having issues during a run (i want to see more kits out there before i invest)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have run the boost cooler for about 6 months now and it is awsome. I live in a hot weather climate so I wanted to do everything I could to eliminate pinging. I run 28 degrees of timming with my flattop 331 and close to 15 psi with no trouble

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm running a Snow Performance stage 1 kit and i love it!! i have an '98 GT w/DSS short block, PI heads, intake, cam (all stock), 75mm throttle, 75mm mass air, and long tube headers. I also have a Vortech S-trim w/2.8 pulley @13lbs of boost. Im only running degrees timing which is very conservative with this kit, but i still put down 443rwhp and 430 rwtq, so not too shabby!! when i get the heads ported and a blower cam, i hope to put down add an extra 110+ rwhp to the combo and then i'll call it good. for the time being i have 3.73's and im thinking about 4.10's, what do u guys think?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, I can't help but notice all the talk about the Snow Performance Boost Cooler kits; not to mention, all the other water/methanol kits out there. I have been itching to try this system out even though I do not have a radically pullied blower setup.

So, I was wondering for those of you in the know, will this kit be a waste of money on my stock pullied SQ-Trim? Also, will the water/methanol system adversly affect emissions related components? I already hate dealing with Maryland's strict emissions standards and don't need any extra headaches.

If I get the system, I plan to revisit LaRocca's for a retune. My reasoning behind using the kit is not to achieve bigger "show" numbers, but rather to keep the car a little safer when romping on it hard.

Also, those that have the kit, at what point does a person really need a Stage2 system as opposed to the Stage1 system? Do you guys also completely eliminate your BTM's? Lastly, are they a nightmare to tune?

·
Registered
349 Posts
if boost is on you like a light switch, say a fast spooling turbo, or a KB, than stange 1 would be fairly optimum. However, if you build boost with rpm (centrifical vortech) than the stage two would allow you to tune the injection sooner in the mix and richer as you build. It really is a perfect kit for a vortech. The HP benifit would be that you would not neet to retard timing. Most people tune on race gas with as much timing as possible, then put in pump gas and just use the btm to pull say, 1.5 degrees per pound of boost. With alc., yo would not need to pull that timing out.

-likewise, if you were not tuned for race gas then you are pulling timing out right from the start (low base) and alc. or meth. inj. would allow you to recover that timing, and be worth some good gains.

I don't know if its a hp point where one would switch from stage one to two, but more a tunability point. Say you had stage one, just off or on with a relay, then your pretty much just putting it all in at say, 6psi,.. then you may be a touch over enriched at 6psi, and not quite fully enriched at 9psi. Where as with the ramp up delivery of stage two, you can come on earlier with less delivery, and not worry about being too rich or flooding down low, and still get the nice full enrichment up top.

·
Registered
147 Posts
King Torq said:
if boost is on you like a light switch, say a fast spooling turbo, or a KB, than stange 1 would be fairly optimum. However, if you build boost with rpm (centrifical vortech) than the stage two would allow you to tune the injection sooner in the mix and richer as you build.

I don't know if its a hp point where one would switch from stage one to two, but more a tunability point. Say you had stage one, just off or on with a relay, then your pretty much just putting it all in at say, 6psi,.. then you may be a touch over enriched at 6psi, and not quite fully enriched at 9psi. Where as with the ramp up delivery of stage two, you can come on earlier with less delivery, and not worry about being too rich or flooding down low, and still get the nice full enrichment up top.
I would think that a KB would bennefit from a 2 stage if the 2nd stage came on with the increase of RPM.

The need for 10lbs boost at 2000 rpm would be different than 10 lbs at 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can also use the kit with just water. It will lower you intake temp alot. I dynoed my car with the snow kit and water. My intake temp went down 60 degrees. My intake temp never went over 140 degrees with 15lbs of boost and a 95 degree day. I love the kit it does the same as a intercooler with out the loss of boost that a intercooler will give you.

s trim

559 rwhp
528 tq

1 - 20 of 45 Posts