Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, so as mentioned in my previous post, I am going through with a 5.0 swap in my bmw and had a pretty important question. I was told by a self proclaimed mustang guy that I can use the SN95 passenger side bracket and 3g alternator combined with a driver side bracket with a/c compressor and power steering of an explorer. The pullies are off line but according to him, I just need to space out pullies 1/2" to line everything up..

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
36,972 Posts
Spacing the pulley out puts additional bending load on the accessory shafts that are adjusted that way. I'd prefer to have matching brackets so all the accessories are set up the way they were stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i dont feel right spacing out the bracket or the pullies. I guess the explorer brackets all aroung with explorer water pump, timing cover, and crank pulley will be my only option with my 3g alternator. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
36,972 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to space out the BRACKET -- that keeps the load on the pulley the same. It'll just look a little funny and put some bending load on the mounting bolts.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,765 Posts
As long as spacers are properly designed, there's no harm in spacing brackets. The Explorer accessory brackets are the most compact of all small block Ford front dresses, but it also requires the use of the Explorer 50 oz harmonic balancer with its integral 36-1 trigger wheel. This is actually a great upgrade if you plan to use EDIS8, but if you're not then... I've heard, from folks on the Ranger forums that it's all or nothing when it comes to Explorer front dress. You either go with everything from it, or you don't use it at all.

You can easily run a 3G alternator in a Fox alternator bracket by modifying it slightly to accomodate the larger body of the 3G alternator. I have done this successfully on 2 engines in vehicles currently in my garage.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello to all, so as mentioned in my previous post, I am going through with a 5.0 swap in my bmw and had a pretty important question. I was told by a self proclaimed mustang guy that I can use the SN95 passenger side bracket and 3g alternator combined with a driver side bracket with a/c compressor and power steering of an explorer. The pullies are off line but according to him, I just need to space out pullies 1/2" to line everything up..

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated!
I'm doing this now on my 94. I have the Explorer driver side bracket for the peanut PS pump, and the factory 94 bracket for the alternator. Spacing out the drivers side bracket from the block works very well, but it isn't as straight forward as others had implied in past posts. The spacers for the 3 bolts holding it to the block are not the same size. If you use 3/8" spacers (which I did the first time) the alternator is tilted slightly and the belt alignment isn't perfect.

I used a digital level to set the correct angle of the bracket (off the PS Pulley) and then a straight edge off the crank pulley to align it front to rear. Alignment is perfect, and it spent several hours getting beat to death at an open track event with zero issues and the belt wear is perfect. Certainly a worthwhile effort in my opinion. When it comes off for the motor swap this summer I'm going to measure them and have a set machined.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm doing this now on my 94. I have the Explorer driver side bracket for the peanut PS pump, and the factory 94 bracket for the alternator. Spacing out the drivers side bracket from the block works very well, but it isn't as straight forward as others had implied in past posts. The spacers for the 3 bolts holding it to the block are not the same size. If you use 3/8" spacers (which I did the first time) the alternator is tilted slightly and the belt alignment isn't perfect.

I used a digital level to set the correct angle of the bracket (off the PS Pulley) and then a straight edge off the crank pulley to align it front to rear. Alignment is perfect, and it spent several hours getting beat to death at an open track event with zero issues and the belt wear is perfect. Certainly a worthwhile effort in my opinion. When it comes off for the motor swap this summer I'm going to measure them and have a set machined.

Wow really? Yea it seemed a bit more straight forward. I would rather just to the full explorer front dress. Part hunting here I come, thank you guys so much for the great info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.