Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So confused as to what rims I need to get for my Fox. Currently has SN95 5-lug conversion.

I called American muscle and they said any SN95 rim will work. Reading thru the forums though some people running a combo of SN197 and SN197.

The current rims have the wrong offset, stick out too far, I am not overly picky just want the car to sit right, so these rims need to go.

Question of the day....whoever is running SN95 5 lug conversion on their Fox body, what are you running for rims?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Are you running drum brakes in the rear or did you install a complete sn95 axle swap including disk brakes in the rear. That is what dictates which wheels you use. If you still have drum brakes, any sn95 wheel will work. If you have disks and used sn95 length rear axles you really should look at converting to fox length 5 lug axles with the northracecar fox brackets. The SN95 axles increase total track width by 1.5 inches. Most wheels wont fit. North Racecars – Ford 8.8" C-clip Rear Ends

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you running drum brakes in the rear or did you install a complete sn95 axle swap including disk brakes in the rear. That is what dictates which wheels you use. If you still have drum brakes, any sn95 wheel will work. If you have disks and used sn95 length rear axles you really should look at converting to fox length 5 lug axles with the northracecar fox brackets. The SN95 axles increase total track width by 1.5 inches. Most wheels wont fit. North Racecars – Ford 8.8" C-clip Rear Ends
Disc brakes front and rear with SN95 rear axles.

Was trying to avoid switching axels, I am not too picky on what rims I get so was hoping somebody running the same set up can share what they are running

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info about North Racecars, just hung up with Richard, super knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Disc brakes front and rear with SN95 rear axles.

Was trying to avoid switching axels, I am not too picky on what rims I get so was hoping somebody running the same set up can share what they are running
The wheels most people used were the Cobra R wheel that was designed for Tbirds (i believe) those have long been discontinued. They are more like a FWD offset. Stock wheels from an sn95 might work and there are a lot of cool wheels to choose from stock. Normally you put 275/40/17 in the rear with 245/45/17 in the front on stock 17 inch wheels with a drop and it will look nice. Not sure if you can get away with a 275 though because of the axle length. I think youre limited to a 255. Maybe 2005+ stock or aftermarket wheels will fit the rear since they have more positive offset but then they arent going to fit right in the front so you would need a wheel that you can get in different offsets or a hubcetric adapter/spacer to move the front wheels out. You can get stock length 5 lug axles for that rearend from a junkyard for cheap. I paid like 30$ at a upull and pay place when i did my fox but that was forever ago. The axles are available in a bunch of different vehicles. There is an adapter ring you get to center the disks on the axle too. In my opinion, its much better to stick with Fox width if you want wheels. It really limits what you can do with those sn95 axles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wheels most people used were the Cobra R wheel that was designed for Tbirds (i believe) those have long been discontinued. They are more like a FWD offset. Stock wheels from an sn95 might work and there are a lot of cool wheels to choose from stock. Normally you put 275/40/17 in the rear with 245/45/17 in the front on stock 17 inch wheels with a drop and it will look nice. Not sure if you can get away with a 275 though because of the axle length. I think youre limited to a 255. Maybe 2005+ stock or aftermarket wheels will fit the rear since they have more positive offset but then they arent going to fit right in the front so you would need a wheel that you can get in different offsets. You can get stock length 5 lug axles for that rearend from a junkyard for cheap. I paid like 30$ at a upull and pay place when i did my fox but that was forever ago. The axles are available in a bunch of different vehicles. There is an adapter ring you get to center the disks on the axle too. In my opinion, its much better to stick with Fox width if you want wheels. It really limits what you can do with those sn95 axles.
After talk with Rich and reading not only what you but others have posted on the forum, I just bit the bullet and ordered the correct 5-lug fox length axles. Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
After talk with Rich and reading not only what you but others have posted on the forum, I just bit the bullet and ordered the correct 5-lug fox length axles. Thanks again for the info!
Nice! Did you order brackets too? Their brackets are really nice. My boy ordered a set back in the day and the quality on them is great. Depending on how my wheels fit on my truck, i may end up going to shorter fox length axles and using their cobra rear brake brackets.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice! Did you order brackets too? Their brackets are really nice. My boy ordered a set back in the day and the quality on them is great. Depending on how my wheels fit on my truck, i may end up going to shorter fox length axles and using their cobra rear brake brackets.
Yes sir! Axles and brackets, didn't need the e-brake as it is already there and working. Rich said that won't even need to bleed the brakes, just unhook and secure them to the side, so that was a nice plus.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Now you have a ton of choices for wheels. There are a few stock sn95 wheels that look really nice as long as you put the right tires on it. I listed above what most people do. If you are looking for aftermarket wheels you can get an idea of offset vs width on any of the sites that sell sn95 specific wheels and then find aftermarket wheels that are the same or extremely close to it. Since you will be in there, now would be a good time to throw new carbon clutches in your 8.8 if you have 1 wheel peel like so many high mileage 8.8s do.

Reactions: YacoSpeed

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
im running sn95 axles with cobra set up on my 86. im also running American muscle black bullet 17x9 rims in the rear. with the sn95 axles, the wheel is flush with the rear fender. im very happy about that. in the front im running the 17x8 version. 275/40/17 in the rear, 235/45/17 up front.

if i went stock fox length, i believe they would fit np with removal of the quad shock.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
SN95 17x8 wheels fit perfectly with the setup. You do need to roll the rear fenders though or you will rub a tiny bit. I run 255/45/17 rears

you can get away with 9” wheels as long as they deep BS but there are slim pickings on that particular style. There is another thread on this in this forum on the top page. It’s a common subject.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

however I’ll be swapping to fox-lenght axles at some point as you need to pull the rears in that 0.75” to run most of the nicer 9” or wider rear wheels being offered today.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
im running sn95 axles with cobra set up on my 86. im also running American muscle black bullet 17x9 rims in the rear. with the sn95 axles, the wheel is flush with the rear fender. im very happy about that. in the front im running the 17x8 version. 275/40/17 in the rear, 235/45/17 up front.

if i went stock fox length, i believe they would fit np with removal of the quad shock.
also running Bilstein shocks, steeda sport springs. no fender rolling needed

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have 97 gt wheels.on my 79 fox with sn95 stuff all around, I have cobra front brakes and gt rear brakes, I have the front untouched as far as rolling fenders, the rear fenders are rolled and im.running 245/45 17s out front and 275/35 17 out back, I do rub on hard bumps, I have a 31 spline carrier in the garage as well as 31 spline fox length axles I'm going to be swapping out soon.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts