Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well time to build My Bitches The Blue Floosie and Red Head Step Child
Since this is a Ford Mustang orientated site, I'll keep the build info strictly related to Red Head Step Child (plus I've got enough to go talk about with it alone ;) )

So I bought this "pile" in September of last year as a Birthday present to myself (I must not like me too much, LOL) off a guy on the forums here. Him and his whole crew were a bunch of automotive morons but they tried hard to come off as knowledgeable (it was funny to stand and talk with them as I continued to bring the asking price down, LOL).
Some actual pics from the ad( I still laugh when I see the exquisite wiring work they displayed)

(note the "turbo" badge installed ::) How ricey is that, LOL! I had someone comment on that yesterday ... Not a positive one either! I should leave them just for giggles :banana:)

(Yeah, they put up pics of that exquisite looking wiring in their For Sale ad)
There was even more of the wiring wizadry found once I tore the car apart further (more on that later).

Okay, my Christmas (in January ) with gifts for me bought by me, over the past few months (had to amoratize the cost
over time).

Since the car has well over 160K miles, on what looks like all original suspension parts (I.E ball joints destroyed, every single bushing cracked/split, no subframe support added etc). I ordered motor and suspension parts, after months of research (literally).
For the Mustang, I purchased Tokico Dampers (all around), 03 Cobra Front Control Arms, Vogtland Springs, Bump Steer kit, M&M full length sub frame connectors and an AJE K member with spring perches. I already had a set of MMR upper and lower control arms for the rear and Steeda CC Plates.
Motor wise for the Red Head, it came a with a plethora of parts (Cartech turbo kit, everything MSD had in their catalog it seems, LOL, Cobra upper/lower and few other items along those lines.) I plan to install my DSS 306, AFR 165 heads, GT40 Upper and lower and my BG Turbo kit from my other 95.

I travel for work, so I didn't start on the build until a few weeks ago. Up to that point, I actually drove the car (whenever I was home) just as it were. Not the most powerful but it was nice to be in a Mustang again. I never noticed how cramped they were. The GTO is far more roomier ... FAR MORE.

Anyhow, a few weeks back I pull it all apart and start the build. I knew the engine bay needed some TLC but I didn't want to get into filling the engine bay holes and all that (been there .. Done that... fork doing all that labor ever again).
So I started running all the wiring into the inner fenders,

Sanded the bay down and a fresh coat of paint

Installed new suspension components

Installed the subframes and welded every seem I could get to under the car (also burnt up the carpet ... :curses: ... war casualty)

Engine is a DSS with stock cam and AFR 165's, GT40 U/L ..

I can't break it because it has a Girdle my Nucca!!!! (read with sarcasm)

Block prime-N-painted

Studded up with some head(s)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two of the best (and needed mods you can do to a B&G kit are to cut the down pipe in half (why he makes it a 1 piece is beyond me) and pipe the wastegate back into the Down pipe (Since open WG sounds like arse!)

I didn't want the "afterthought" look of a lap band in the engine bay, so I installed a V-Band in it's place (bought a crappy one from OBX. It works but I wouldn't buy another nor recommend them to anyone else)
With some help from Preston on yesterday evening (a Mod motor fan ... But I won't hold it against him) I was able to place the mill into the car

And Preston hammin it up for the camera

Engine as it sits right now

Now I'm going to work through the interior. Got GT seats (front and rear) going in. New stereo system, super bright L.E.D.'s for the dash and bezel pieces. Oh yeah and I need to order a new carpet.
So I still have a lot of work but it's further along then when I started a few weeks back ;D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice looking build you have going! I can't wait to do mine when I get back to the states. I will be doing pretty much the same thing with my engine bay, wiring, and a turbo set up. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ahh come on! You should keep that awesome yellow zip ties and rainbow colors in the engine bay! HAHAHA Priceless.

Nice build and I hope it goes smoothly.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Looks great man!
lol I would never buy a vehicle from a person with a turbo badge like that.. 90% of the time the people have absolutely no clue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks great man!
lol I would never buy a vehicle from a person with a turbo badge like that.. 90% of the time the people have absolutely no clue.
Those are the ones you want to buy from. You can talk them down pretty easily if you know anything about cars. LOL

·
Registered
557 Posts
Car is looking good! Hope to see the car running around when your done. You ever go to any meets or the track?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are the ones you want to buy from. You can talk them down pretty easily if you know anything about cars.
TROOF!!!

pete85fox said:
]Car is looking good! Hope to see the car running around when your done.
Thank You ... I'm sick of working on it ... got maybe 2 weeks worth of work to do still.

You ever go to any meets or the track?
Nope, on both counts.

Got some work done the past few days. Finally mounted the turbo, ran all oil lines to and from, mounted inter-cooler and made the cold side.

Excuse the Blue connector, ordered some more black today :cool:

Just need to put a new spring and diaphragm in the wastegate and I can then install it and the dump pipe.
Once I mount the coolant overflow tank, catch can, install plugs, wires and distributor and run a few vacuum lines, I'll be done in the engine bay :D. Then it's onto the interior and finally the trunk.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Looking good. I'm planning a similar project on my fox execpt it needs bodywork as well. :shifty: Sooo what r u doing to the blue car?(Gto)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the GTO, I already installed cam/springs/UDP/Long Tubes and a tune (put out a tad over 400 to the wheels). Last month I redid the suspension (shocks/struts/springs/radius rod bushings) and it handles like a "sports car" now (as opposed to the plush/sloppy Cadillac feel it has from the factory). I have a set of TSP CNC ported LS3 heads, offset rocker and a L92 Intake (seen in pic above) that will be installed once I have the Mustang out the garage. Looking to make at least 470 N/A with the GTO. I want 500 to the wheels (but I don't want to change to more aggressive cam) so I'm going to spray a 50 -75 shot :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
On the GTO, I already installed cam/springs/UDP/Long Tubes and a tune (put out a tad over 400 to the wheels). Last month I redid the suspension (shocks/struts/springs/radius rod bushings) and it handles like a "sports car" now (as opposed to the plush/sloppy Cadillac feel it has from the factory). I have a set of TSP CNC ported LS3 heads, offset rocker and a L92 Intake (seen in pic above) that will be installed once I have the Mustang out the garage. Looking to make at least 470 N/A with the GTO. I want 500 to the wheels (but I don't want to change to more aggressive cam) so I'm going to spray a 50 -75 shot :D
Very nice. Do you DD the gto? I'm debating on whether to cam my g8 or not, don't want to deal with the hassle of a cammed car on my dd(idle, pushing brakes, etc etc) but the power gain from a cam on an lsx motor is soo tempting.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice. Do you DD the gto? I'm debating on whether to cam my g8 or not, don't want to deal with the hassle of a cammed car on my dd(idle, pushing brakes, etc etc) but the power gain from a cam on an lsx motor is soo tempting.
Man, there is absolutely none of that with most of the cams for the LSx based motors. Hell there are guys with LS1 motors running HPE "MegaDeath" cam (244/242 612/610 112 lsa) in daily drivers.
My cam card

My car idles rock solid @ 750 rpms with just enough shake to know it's a cam in it but not enough to make it miserable (been there ... done that with Mustangs years ago)
With that Ls3/L76 you have in that G8 (which is what my new top end combo is, just ported) you have a head that flows killer! and people have finally figured out that you don't need a huge split and duration cam to make big numbers from them (which is why the LS3/L76 swap on LS2's are so popular ... Hell they're pulling crazy numbers from 406/427 strokers with factory LS3 heads)
You should read into a bit more. It's almost not fair how easy it is to make 450-500 HP (with a matching torque curve) N/A with LSx based motors and have beautiful drive-ability :leghump:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a bit of work done on yesterday (very nice day ... too bad I spent it all in the garage )

I still need to extend/solder a few wires and get some fuel lines made and I can start here up. I hope to have that done before Wednesday but definitely by next Saturday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts