Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Smoke when manually shifting only (updated info May 28)

I've got this strange problem. I'm using a B&M shifter w/a C4 automatic tranny. When I drive the car in "DRIVE", everything is ok. But, when I shift from 1st to 2nd to drive, I get smoke (lots) pouring in from the carpet area (probably coming in where I cut the hole for the shifter cable). I can also see smoke in my rear view mirror when I shift, but none otherwise.

Has anyone else experienced such a strange problem, or know what may be causing it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
ttt. because i have a little smoke coming from my exaust when i go to w.o.t. It does it for a second then stops. I'm thinking i'm running very rich because the tailpipes ends are a little black. It could also be blow-by i suppose. I'm sure i am running rich anyway though. Would new O2 sensors help that any?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had another post asking if the mark on the dipstick was correct, since I was using a C4 dipstick/tube for a normal pan, & now have a deep pan..

That's what I was thinking (too full), so I drained a bit...but I must have drained too much (maybe 2 qts), because then it would shift into drive slowly (like there wasn't enough fluid). So, I added a quart & it drove fine..except for that strange smoke :rolleyes:

(BTW, I did this BEFORE the smoke started to appear)

Any other theories?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to add one other thing..

This new PA transmission did not come with a kickdown lever (the lever was not there, there's just a 'nub'). So, I do not have the kickdown linkage hooked up to the carb. Could that be causing the problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.