Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on the subject and one thing never
mentioned is whether or not there is a gasket required on the back of the head. I was going to use the cut the the pipes and flip to the opposite side method to seal off the holes. Do I need a gasket or sealer. I don't have the pipe off yet to see what's there. Just trying to get prepared.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
i just did this so i can help u. i removed the smog pump and the tube that goes to the h pipe along with all the other stuff for the smog pump. When u remove the tube that goes into the heads there is gonna be a hole. Ford sells a plug that will plug these holes. they come in a pack of two but idont know the part number. someone on here does though im sure (thats how i got it) the only problem i had was that i couldnt get the driver side tube off the head, the bolt head was rounded off. so i just left the tube and plugged it where it used to connect to the smog pump. remember, u will have to get a shorter belt. if u need anymore help just pm or email me since i just did it and have had no problems.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the # for the plugs. A friend of mine said it's a real PITA to put them in because of all the carbon build up in the threads. I thought I'd have a friend of mine make me some cover plates the same shape as the block that's there. Didn't know if I needed gaskets. Maybe I should try the plugs though cause my car only has 14000 miles and there may not be much carbon.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
im interested in the plugs to..whats the part number and where can i order them?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you ever have a problem getting the plugs, I did it the cheapo way. When I took the tubing off in the back of the head, I used a hacksaw to cut off the ends that bolt to the block. I cleaned my "newly fabricated" pieces and made sure the carbon build-up was flush and clean on the back of the head. I used a little of the Red High Temp RTV and put them on so that the flat side was over the hole. Voula, the poor mans way to getting rid of the smog pump. Like I said, it is the ghetto way to do it, but you never see the back of your heads so I didn't care. It works great, better than threading those plugs into the carbon covered holes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
plugs

that is the part # i payed $ 2.74 at ford

1 - 8 of 8 Posts