Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 F-150 4x4, daily driver. Anything I can do to get more punch out of it without hurting drivability and keeping within stringent California smog laws?
Bought this truck with a non-running engine due to loss of oil pressure. Since it needs a rebuild anyway, I figured I'd try to increase the torque, throttle response and horsepower a little in the process.
If it needs to stay completely stock, that's fine. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case any of you guys may have built something like this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If it were my truck, I'd leave it alone. The combination of it being SD and having to smog it will be a deal breaker.. I would recommend converting to MAF unless you're willing to chase lots of drieability issues. Most SD trucks are batchfire, not SEFI and that in itself is bad for emissions testing and part throttle performance with bolt on parts. There are a few cams that play somewhat nice with SD but you're still rolling the dice. Every additional thing you change will make it go downhill after that. Some people get away with just a cam swap, but most of the time it will mess with the batchfire SD setup to the point it can't cope. There's a good chance you will have to deal with cold and hot idle stalling, pinging, part throttle surge etc. An SEFI MAF conversion is the only way it will predictably work out for you.

If you dont have an E4OD trans, you can swap the ECM and wire harness to SEFI MAF. You will need to install an O2 sensor in each exhaust bank and the matching MAF sensor with intake tubing that goes with the ECM calibration. This way you can swap in a stock HO roller cam, lifters and spider tray. That will really wake it up. It will pass smog easier this way which is a big bonus.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you my friend, that pretty much tells me what I need to do--leave it stock. I don't need, or want, any drivability issues. Very good info., thanks a bunch.

·
USAF retired
9,233 Posts
Thinking out loud here, how does the F150 cam compare to the later model explorer cams?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ford spent a decent amount of time maximizing low end torque in the 302 for truck duty. There's some items you can do, but tough if you have to meet a tail pipe sniffer. You could try to advance the cam timing to help improve things down low, get a better flowing exhaust, but that's about it without putting more money into it. Putting in one of those RV style cams may/may not benefit you. Typically those are very mild, so the computer won't care. But depending on the engine, the specs are usually close enough to stock where most of the time the money spent is not worth it.

·
USAF retired
9,233 Posts
If you're wanting to spend money for a cam you could get a custom one done that will still pass emissions, and make a bit more torque.

Reactions: JBacon302

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like another gentleman was after the same thing as me. 1995 F150 budget build

I appreciate the input and suggestions guys but I'm going to build it stock. Just want to be able to jump in this thing and go, with no drivability issues. That's more important to me than power.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts