Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ran into a air pump thing in my passenger fender well while installing a CAI kit... i was told that not all 98 cobras have this and it is only for CA and VA emmissions... i was wondering if this is affecting any performance? i live in texas so i dont need it... can it be taken off with out messing stuff up? anyone have any ideas? i mean if i doesnt affect my performance it can stay if it does it my have to go if it can... :confused:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I wish I had removed my friggin air pump before I installed my Densecharger....remove it first...you'll be thanking yourself! I still plan on ripping mine out of there soon...

If you do a search, you should find a thread about removing it....it was here about a month or 2 ago....from what I remember it seemed easy enough...and if you reconnect a blue wiring harness you won't get a MIL....

Good luck!

VAiN

·
Registered
866 Posts
The easy way to get it out of the way is to disconnect the copper tubes that connect the air pump to the headers. After you've done this, even though the air pump is just blowing air into the engine bay, the computer won't complain and with the copper tubes gone you'll have the space you need to work around the engine. Then you get threaded plugs to screw into the air injection ports on your headers. This is exactly what I did on my car.

Incidentally, you'll still pass smog even in CA because they don't test the engine when cold and the air injection system only functions for the first 60 seconds or so of a cold start.

If you actually remove the rest of the system -- air pump, hose, filter -- then the computer will probably throw a code and you'll have to fake it out somehow, maybe with a resistor I'm not sure. My feeling is that's not worth the effort as it doesn't provide any real gains.

·
Registered
474 Posts
CRASH2646 said:
if i read it right it onlyworks for like 60 sec a day.. then y is it on the car!!
It is there basically to keep unburned fuel from igniting in one of the catalytic converters (which is common on cold start ups). I think my Hayes shop manual says that it only functions for anywhere between 20 and 120 seconds after start up.

BTW, mine is making some strange resonating noices (after I've been on the throttle a little). My computer keeps throwing the P0411 code. Since I don't have cats to begin with, I'm trying to decide how I'm going to address it.

Brian

·
Registered
866 Posts
CRASH2646 said:
thanks for the info... so this doesnt hurt any performance? and if i read it right it onlyworks for like 60 sec a day.. then y is it on the car!!
I believe it's there only to satisfy the EPA. They have cold start emissions requirements for new vehicles. By injecting fresh O2 into the headers, it can help burn up any unburnt exhaust gases and reduce emissions. This is important when the engine's cold because (a) the choke is on so it's running rich and (b) it's cold so it can't burn all the fuel. If anything, eliminating it may help performance because it will reduce weight and also at least theoretically improve the scavengy efficiency of the headers. But I doubt either of these effects is enough to measure on a dyno. So basically, there's no reason to eliminate the air injection unless it's in the way. The only reason I eliminated mine is because the air injection ports on my new headers didn't line up with the stock positions so I couldn't hook it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts