Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
running an Explorer 302 with the Explorer front dress. bought a TuffStuff 225amp alternator 7778F which is for that Explorer. its not charging at idle but just a tab off idle its fine. i need it to charge the most when at idle to power a winch. i asked TuffStuff about running a smaller pulley and they said it would help but they dont make one. they said the shaft is .668 but did not say what size the pulley is. i THINK it is 58mm, but not exactly sure where you measure from to be honest. anyone recommend a place to get a smaller pulley?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You want to run the typical alternator at a minimum of 2,400 shaft rpm and a max of 18,000 shaft rpm. A 3:1 alternator to crank ratio is a good rule of thumb. Here is an online pulley speed calculator to check out: https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belt.aspx

As indy2000 mentioned, ASP ( https://www.autospecialties.com/ford/ ) sells alternator overdrive pullies. I have used their 1 7/8" pulley (ASP520004) with good results. Powermaster ( http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/catalog.html# ) has 1.90, 1.92, and 2.00" pulleys listed on page 88 of their online catalog.

Are you running an underdrive crank pulley? If so, changing back to the factory crank pulley will help too. My factory crank pulley is 5.75" and my underdrive crank was 4.50". Edit: IIRC, the crank underdrive pulley on it's own slows everything down 20-22%.

·
Registered
619 Posts
PA performance alternators has a good selection of overdrive pulleys. The thing I like most is that the ribs are deeper and they grip the belt better than the factory stuff.
However......do your math and make certain you are never going to over spin your alternator when driving.
I bought a pulley from them to get rid of a startup chirp/squeal that I had determined was the alternator pulley. I got an overdrive one because I figured some extra juice at idle and low RPM would not be a bad thing.
I was out "driving spiritedly" not long after, ran the RPM past 6K and fried my alternator and the pigtail that plugs into it. So.....I ordered a factory size pulley, bought a new alternator and pigtail and learned an expensive lesson.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its whatever size crank the Explorers used, id have to measure it when i get a chance. do you measure the crank and alt pulley by the OD of the outside big rib? or the OD of the inside ribs? cause the outside rib is 2.5" and the inside ribs are 58mm and both those sizes come up when i look them up. but if it is 2.5" then i think a 1-7/8" might be too big of a jump. assuming i have a 6.5" crank my ratio would only be 2.6x. but the 1-7/8 would be a 3.46x ratio. but assuming i never go over 5k RPM which i dont, that would be 17,333 alternator speed

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Like said, ASP makes a 1 7/8" pulley and i've used one with U/D pulleys for 20 years without issue. However, if you hope on ebay, there's a wide variety of alt pulley sizes to pick from.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
March is another source of alternator pulleys too. Here is some more alternator info from Powermaster. It is interesting they call out 18,000 rpm for Delco style cases and 20,000 rpm for Denso units. PA mentions 16,000 rpm in their info.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you have not already pulled the trigger on a pulley, I still have the 48 mm pulley I bought from PA Performance.
VERY low miles. PM if interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts