Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1972 (D2) 351 windsor (non-roller) block, and i want to use a standard hydraulic roller cam, in lieu of the small base circle cam. i have checked, and crane makes retrofit hydraulic roller lifters for my engine, but they are redicuolously expensive, from what i have found. should i go to a small base circle cam and forget about the retrofit, or should i get the retrofit kit? has anyone here ever used either before? also, do you know where a good place would be to purchase either, or do you have a set of the retrofit lifters for sale?

thanks,

brad

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well the reason you use a smaller base cam in a retrofit is the length of the lifters used. The cam allows the longer lifter to set in farther into the bore much like a stock roller block does. Stock roller blocks have longer lifter bores allowing you to use stock roller cams. If the block isnt special consider getting a 351W lightning block. They had stock roller cams. Ford still have lightning longblocks and complete engines.

Allen

·
Registered
90 Posts
should i go to a small base circle cam and forget about the retrofit, or should i get the retrofit kit?

I think it should depend on what cam you want. If the cam you want only comes in small base-circle form (I wouldn't believe that if you told me), then go that route. If it doesn't, then you need to go with the Crane lifters.

After getting the conversion kit for about $40-$50 - or used for much cheaper -, stock replacement lifters for ~$120, the retro-fit cam for almost $300 I believe, you've spent somewhere between $460-$470. If the cam profile you want can be found with a lower priced cam such as an E-303, B-303, etc, which is what, $150, then you should buy the Crane lifters. That total will come to $450 as well. Plus, if you want to upgrade your cam in the future you'll have more choices with a regular sized cam. Oh, and I'm sure the Crane lifters are of better quality than the stock Ford lifters, although there's nothing wrong with the stockers. They can last a couple hundred thousand miles.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
93 LX said:
Well the reason you use a smaller base cam in a retrofit is the length of the lifters used. The cam allows the longer lifter to set in farther into the bore much like a stock roller block does. Stock roller blocks have longer lifter bores allowing you to use stock roller cams. If the block isnt special consider getting a 351W lightning block. They had stock roller cams. Ford still have lightning longblocks and complete engines.

Allen
thanks for the reply, but i knew pretty much all about the small base circle cams and why you have to have them in an older block.;) also, it is a little late to buy a lightning motor now, considering that this motor is fresh from the machine shop and is being assembled as we speak. also, from what i understand, the lightning motors (or any newer 351's), are weaker than the older 351's. (i don't know this for sure, i have just heard it from what i would consider to be reputable sources). my question was, should i go with a small base circle cam, or go with the retrofit lifters and a standard hydraulic cam?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
since i already have the cam that i want to use, i guess that i will go the retrofit lifter route. it just seems so expensive to purchase these lifters. i was reading down the list of lifters trying to find the ones for this engine from crane, and the prices were in the $80.00 - $120.00 range, then i find mine and bam, $400.00.:eek: If you know of anyone that might have a set for sale, please send them my way.

thanks,

brad

MikeCasaceli said:
should i go to a small base circle cam and forget about the retrofit, or should i get the retrofit kit?

I think it should depend on what cam you want. If the cam you want only comes in small base-circle form (I wouldn't believe that if you told me), then go that route. If it doesn't, then you need to go with the Crane lifters.

After getting the conversion kit for about $40-$50 - or used for much cheaper -, stock replacement lifters for ~$120, the retro-fit cam for almost $300 I believe, you've spent somewhere between $460-$470. If the cam profile you want can be found with a lower priced cam such as an E-303, B-303, etc, which is what, $150, then you should buy the Crane lifters. That total will come to $450 as well. Plus, if you want to upgrade your cam in the future you'll have more choices with a regular sized cam. Oh, and I'm sure the Crane lifters are of better quality than the stock Ford lifters, although there's nothing wrong with the stockers. They can last a couple hundred thousand miles.

·
Registered
870 Posts
i used the crane retro fit roller lifters in my 331 with a late model cam. yes they are around that price range. think i gave closer to 360 from jeggs or summit. one advantage is they will rev more than the stockers. crane told me the stockers were at there limit at 6500 rpm where these would give me another 1000 rpm window of opportunity. the better valvetrain parts tend to cost more but stay together longer also

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this car is for my wife, so i don't think that it will ever spin past 6,000 rpms. i guess that i am just going to have to dish out the $400.00 for the crane lifters. do you know if they come with the special push rods that i need?

thanks,

brad

MYOWNR said:
i used the crane retro fit roller lifters in my 331 with a late model cam. yes they are around that price range. think i gave closer to 360 from jeggs or summit. one advantage is they will rev more than the stockers. crane told me the stockers were at there limit at 6500 rpm where these would give me another 1000 rpm window of opportunity. the better valvetrain parts tend to cost more but stay together longer also

·
Registered
90 Posts
Push rods not included.
I know the valvetrain is probably the last place you want to spend money. I feel the same way. You don't see an immediate increase in power, and you probably won't ever see an advantage of a high dollar valvetrain unless you race the car.
Some things just suck. At least you know it's not a waste, as if you were being ripped off by somebody.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I went with the retrofit rollers for several reasons...

They are expensive, but as stated, you'd be paying $100 for new lifters plus the spider so the difference isn't that much.

They are supposed to rev past 6500

I'd heard some bad stories about the dogbones launching @6500+, don't know how true that is but it was another rationalization for the Crane lifters

And the biggie was the widely available cam selection. You can pick up used cams for $150, which many times are standard base circle style.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Is the cam you want to use a custom piece? Is there a particular reason you want to go hyd roller? I know I'd have a hard time spending that kind of money on lifters unless it's a serious race effort.

Comp Cams has some very aggressive hyd flat tappet profiles. You can get cam AND lifters for half the price of those retrofits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts