Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scraping very large amounts of hardened black sludge (looks like coal) from the lifter valley. It's very obvious the engine has been overheated a few times and this crap is BAKED on.

Anyway, I've cleaned it out as good as I possibly can and cleaned the pushrods, rockers, installed new lifters, etc.

My question is. My Dad (not a mechanic) told me to fill it up and substitute one quart of ATF for oil because it's a detergent and will help clean out the particles that fell to the pan. He said to let it run a few minutes and warm up and then change the oil and filter again and use all oil this time.

I'm not gonna do this without good advice from other corralers, so please.. Should I or not?

Thanks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes You can do it with ATF.. I have done that , but it is not very effective. You can disturbed the sludge to the bottom of oil pan and may sucks up by oil pump and clogged the screen and...you get the picture?

Best way is to use shop vacuum to clean up all sludge.
Sludge is cause by lack of oil change or cold running motor.
Sometimes sludge are form from hard to reach area, like under side of cylinder head..area that is expose to lifter valley, is consider normal.

I would know this, all type of V engine do have that situation, nothing to loose your sleeps over it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts