Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of used slicks mounted on 10 hole rims a couple weeks ago. i want to use them at the track next weekend, so i emailed the tech person and asked them if there was anything else i needed to have except for a driveshaft saftey loop. he responed with "As far as putting slicks on... you will need to make sure you have the wheel studs going into the flat of the nut 7/16 of an inch (or equivalent length to the thickness of the stud)."
wtf does that mean? i was going just bolt them on the same way my other wheels/ tires are on

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
What he is talking about is to make sure the wheel stud is long enough and sticking into the nut far enough. You should be fine with the stock studs on the factory 10 hole wheel because the stud will actually protrude past the top of the nut. What they are worried about is mostly aftermarket wheels that are sometimes thicker than stock wheels and the factory studs won't protrude past the thick part of the wheel far enough to be safe. Rule of thumb is the stud needs to protrude past the face of the wheel (the part where the nut clamps down) and into the "flat" or hex portion of the nut by one diameter or about 1/2" in your case. I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
What John said.
You will be fine with the 10 holes and factory lugs. I did it for years. Just keep the center caps off to make the tech guys happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts