Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how wide is the block of a 5.4? Is it a lot wider than that of a 4.6? If anyone has done the swap is there any problem with the exhaust headers hitting or is it just tight up top by the heads? Ive done a search for this but no one seems to give actual demensions on the width of the block. I want to do the swap but i dont know how much of my turbo kit (tp) would have to be altered to make it fit in the car. Hopefully none but i doubt it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i believe it is slightly wider. its barely noticeable to the naked eye.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
turbo54 said:
Forget it, the swap is impossible. Many have tried, all have failed!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

F

·
0 Posts
I was just about to type up the same question, you beat me to it.

Can anyone with the FRPP catalog check the back to see if the 5.4 SOHC width is listed?

thanks

·
Banned
1,364 Posts
The sizes of all Ford V8 engines are shown and listed in the back of the FRPP catalog.

A word to the wise, before you start asking questions about a 5.4 swap, PLEASE, PLEASE read the WHOLE thread started by Boss330.

I almost garuntee all your questions will be answered.

Boss's thread in short:

The 5.4 DOHC navi motor fits fine... Its a little tight, and you can't take your valve covers off without pulling the motor. It bolts in, the electronics work and you have to bend the A/C liquid line around to clear. As far as intakes.... You will HAVE to fabricate your own intake, or buy one that will work from someone.

Wow, 16 pages crammed into 5 lines!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Deck height on the 5.4 is 29 mm further away from the centerline of the crank. You can do the trig to figure everything else.;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
whos seen the trueblue perofrmance stang?

its got a 5.4 navi (32valve) motor with a HUGE turbo right in the front.

you can turbo a 5.4 DOHC in a mustang body. probably will have to custom make the exhaust header/downpipe though.

maybe you should call true blue performance?

·
Banned
1,364 Posts
You are referring to Randy Haywoods car. Its a drag car. Its not a street car that True Blue will duplicate for you. I'm sure they WOULD duplicate the car if you have the dinero, but it would be in the $100,000 range, and you'd have an SSO car.

Considering the placement of his turbo, where do you suppose the radiator(s) go????

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive read the thread by boss330 already but it doesnt give exact numbers as the the width of the block. Also i dont have the FRPP parts catalogue. Im doing a SOHC not a DOHC navi motor. My logic is im going to have to get a short block done so why not make it a 5.4 instead. Im just trying to isolate problems that i will encounter with the swap. Mostly fitment with my turbo piping. I know a few guys were talking about doing the same swap if any of them could give me a helping hand it would be appreciated. As for the intake Im going with the intake that comes off of a 00 van It measures i think something like 11 high where as my stock intake measures like 8 so it should fit under my cobra r hood.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
As posted earlier in this thread, 29 mm from deck to c/line of crank. Let's do the math...

(sin45*)29mm = 20.5mm

This means the block is 20.5mm taller (from the pan rail), and 41mm wider (at the head deck).

There's your numbers. Good Luck!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts