Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if this gets grounded?

Also I want to make sure the top post is used for the hot wire?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
that it your s terminal. that goes from the switched side of your firewall solenoid to that. that is also a stock starter, you should upgrade to one with an actual post so you don't get an interminttent no crank concern. the top is your b+ wire

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My solenoid has beed moved to the trunk. I have 1/0 cable running from the switched side of the solenoid to the top post (right) in the pic. I am now more confused?? whats the s terminal used for?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
That gets a 12v switched signal. which activates the solenoid to start the starter....

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I piggyback it off of my switched power wire?

The way I have my solenoid wired up the power wire is only hot while cranking.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i wouldn't. you could keep the contacts closed. or pass to much of a current through the solenoid and melt it together like i did.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crapola then, that means I get to run another wire!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If your running an actual solenoid in the back, you could skip the one on the starter all together, Just run your main cable from the solenoid in the back, to the bottom post closest to the starter... Bypassing the noid on the starter all together..

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm gona run another wire just to be safe. But yea I dont see why that wouldnt work.

Noelsmustangs whats the difference in the starter you mentioned?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If your running an actual solenoid in the back, you could skip the one on the starter all together, Just run your main cable from the solenoid in the back, to the bottom post closest to the starter... Bypassing the noid on the starter all together..
this is incorrect, the s terminal of the starter needs to be energized in order to draw the bendix gear out, theres two relays. the large b+ terminal of the starter you have should be fed constant battery voltage. if you were running there pre 92 starter, you would only need the fender mounted solenoid and one wire to the starter. the picture you have is a 93 up ministarter

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i can prove this to you jturm. get a pair of jumper wires, a battery, a vise, a pocket screwdriver, hook the negative to the starter body. the positive to the top big post then connect to the battery. with the starter in a vise tap a pocket screwdriver to the tab for the spade connection for your s wire to b+. the starter will spin.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
With that style starter you need two wires running to it or you will have a starter that will drag the bendex when you start the car.

main power wire is hot all the time and the small signal wire is hot only when cranking.

Tim

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You know, when I wrote that I was thinking thats how I had mine wired. Because I'm still running a Solenoid both on the fender and on the mini starter. So after reading your posts I had to go look. and you are right, I don't have mine wired like that at all... haha Its been awhile! Thank you for correcting me, and sorry for the mistake guys..

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
do you know how many times i've been beaten on here saying something that i thought was right, its no big deal. I switched to the ministarter on mine because i fried two fender starter solenoids first one just stopped working, replaced it and the starter would work great for a week or a month and then i had to disconnect the battery to keep the starter from running suddenly after a startup. and couldn't figure out why. turns out that the starter drew too many amps and the electromagnetic force passing through the solenoid would melt the connections together. so i replaced it with a motorcraft fender solenoid and a reman 93 mustang starter.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I try my best to give out good info with real world experience. Feel bad when I slip up... But.... I'm only human!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts