Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my flywheel back in, should I use silicone on the flywheel bolts to seal out the oil, or use teflon glue?
Also, am I supossed to use locktite?

I was thinking silicone on the first part of the bolts, locktite on the back portion?
any suggestions?

Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
Um....

no silicone is needed...since no oil can leak out of the bolt holes in the crank....all you need to do is put alittle blue locktight on them.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If you don't seal the flywheel bolts, you stand a chance of oil leaking past the threads. You can use blue locktite, or Permatex #2 also works good.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I have red locktite, and I was going to put some clear silicone on the beginning threads of the bolts, locktite on the back of the treads...sound like an ok idea?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The silicone on the front threads will leave a film where you want the locktight to stick when you get it threaded all the way in. Just use the loctite and be done with it. The dried loctite will seal in fluids as long as you use enough to cover the entire distance around the circumference of the bolt. Thats all I have ever done, and have never had any leaks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you use the RED Loctite you will never in heck get it back off. Use the Blue Loktite so you can get the Bolts back off if need be. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts