Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get this loud ticking noise from the passenger side under boost only . It starts around 3500 rpm when the boost starts to come on. If i let off the gas half way it stops, then to the floor its there again !!:confused:

Im thinking its a header gasket. Is this possible to only show once the cylinders are exerting alot of cylinder gasses due to the boost? Cause it dosnt do it under low load...

I was thinking it was detionation and turned timing way down, and this didnt help at all. I hate screwing with header bolt so im not going to pull em tell i get some thoughts from you all..

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I would say YES,
I just replaced one of mine last night.
drivers side, so it wasn't bad.
Make sure you use a gasket that closely matches your ports and if you have thick flange headers, use the longer header bolts.
I check mine all the time but yes you just described my car before last night.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would have to agree. Sounds like header gasket symtoms to me. That's an easy fix man, maybe an hour or two. Suck it up and get in there!:)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OH F**K:mad:
I found out what the noise is. (by accident):mad:

I was running a wire from the battery in the trunk to the engine bay under the car and as i was under the engine some antifreeze dripped on me !!!:eek:

The damn heads are wet on the bottom where the head gasket seam is !!! FFFFFFKKKKKKKKK:mad:

Thats what i get FFFFIN it up with the NX 150 shot prior to the blower!!! I guess the couple of lean outs did more damage then just ffffin up the throttlebody and K&N:barf:

Damn i wonder how much more the head gaskets will take b4 the fire ring blows all the way out??? Maybe that there O-rings felpros is why there still together:barf:

Thanks guys

Here goes alot of money. Looks like a good time to do the forged 331 kit !!!;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Before you tear off the heads I would clean the area real good with gink remover. The put the car on some ramps and run it till you see where the leak is comming from. I had the same problem after I did my heads and it turned out to be the heater hose leaking where it goes throught e firewall. It could also be comming from thje lower head bolts. Cjeck it out first.
HUB

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice..

When i saw the coolant all under the heads i fired up the car and could actually see damn bubbles, very small ones comming out at the gasket!!! I know im F****D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts