Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock ignition and the car seems flat above 4800 rpms or so. Should I upgrade my coil and ignition module?

In the latest edition of MM&FF they say the stock coil and ignition module are good for making power up to 4500 rpms.

See my signature for mods. I am going to up the boost to 8psi soon and want to figure this out first.

I know Mallory makes a high performance ignition module for making power up to 9000 rpms and I was thinking about a crane or accel coil.

Thanks for the help
Ray Nist

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
At 8psi it's not mandatory, but a good idea. The stock ignition is pretty good actually as long as plugs are gapped down for boost. I'd go with the Crane kit for the price or the MSD for the great service after the sale. hth

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
raynist said:
I have a stock ignition and the car seems flat above 4800 rpms or so. Should I upgrade my coil and ignition module?

In the latest edition of MM&FF they say the stock coil and ignition module are good for making power up to 4500 rpms.

See my signature for mods. I am going to up the boost to 8psi soon and want to figure this out first.

I know Mallory makes a high performance ignition module for making power up to 9000 rpms and I was thinking about a crane or accel coil.

Thanks for the help
Ray Nist
What system are you going to get for the boost? I only ask because some come with MSD anyway.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Re: Re: Should I upgrade my coil and ignition module??

fastfed1 said:

What system are you going to get for the boost? I only ask because some come with MSD anyway.
They come with the MSD retard only....it's not an ignition system in any form. Like the S Trim kit, the MSD box it comes with is simply a timing retard module. hth

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Acutally, by ignition module, I meant this piece:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=22691',650,505,'HLY891105

It attaches to the side of the distributor. I really don't want to spend the money for the complete ignition system right now, I am a little tapped at the moment.

Thanks
Ray Nist

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.