Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always loved both newedges and foxs. And around this time last year I bought my first car, a 2000 gt, auto. I have always regretted buying the auto even with the ratchet shifter and I want something new. I daily drive it (not during winter) and want to get some more wiser opinions on the fox vs NE debate. I have been offered a great condition near stock foxbody with a 5 speed and the 5.0. Will I be happy if I trade it for a fox? Will it leave me stranded, and I haven’t broken a thing in the last year on my NE. Looking for any input anyone which experience is willing to give, pls help this young mustang enthusiast out in deciding whether or not to trade for the fox (in great shape)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Well sounds like a good deal to me but I'm a foxbody guy. Let me ask you this. Do you like to work on the cars or just drive them? Because if you want to daily drive a foxbody that is 33 years old it's going to need work here and there. Depending on mileage and how it's been treated, driven, and stored by previous owners has a lot to do with it. If you have time and money to spend working on it replacing and fixing things as they come up and have another vehicle to drive when it's out of commission go for it. Lots of good help here to go around diagnosing things and ideas to fix things for the beginner.

·
Registered
10,067 Posts
I have a fox, and bought a 2003 GT new.

As much as I like the Foxbody, if I had to pick I would go 99-04.

rides better, stiffer body, better brakes and interior, less rattles, faster in stock form.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
been through this but with a 93 in Titanium

The 2000 is faster stiffer drives way better has better brakes handles better (in stock form), more comfortable, more reliable, just as much fun to drive (even with automatic), and on that note the 4R70W is leaps and bounds better than the old fox body aod, also the 2000 rides better and is a much better overall driver.

I traded a 2002 for the 93 in question. Drove the 93 for a while and traded it for another one.

on values the new edge cars haven't really caught on; at least not the gt's and v6's. If you had a Cobra, that would be a big change in value.

as it stands, nice clean rust free fox body cars (especially coupes) are fetching a lot of money. Just for example, I've turned down $20,000 for my 92 GT. And it was hard to turn down, trust me! I also have a 93 GT that is bone stock, my dad drives it once in a while, and I've turned down $18K for it. Mind you it's bone stock with zero mods-not even a cold air intake. OH wait the tailpipes are missing. They had rust holes in 'em so my dad just cut them off. Winter project, I am going to put tail pipes back on it. The rest of the system is great.

I have yet to see a nice new edge fetch that kind of money, or get those kinds of offers. Cobras often do, but we're talking v6 and gt here.

Once I got the newer 93, I drove that thing for years until a guy up the road wanted to trade me straight up for a 2004 with a v6/auto. I liked my 4 cylinder fox body; although it was gutless it was kinda fun, just floor it everywhere you go. 5 speed, tastefully modded with suspension mods to I could just keep it to the floor (more or less) on the back country roads in the hills--which by the way is where I live. So the commute home every day, was fun. Once I got the v6, I realized it's got as much power as a stock v8 fox body with an aod but gets better fuel mileage, is much much more comfortable, handles better, a/c works 10x better, quieter ride, WAYYYY better brakes, etc. I liked that car and I think they're under-rated. Drove it to Oregon twice, Arizona, colorado, New York, Maine, and wanted to take a trip to Alaska, but ended up couldn't go due to health concerns. All told that car had 400,000 miles or just a little over that on it, stock V6 engine, stock 4R70W, really didn't have to do much other than maintenance. I put a power steering pump on it, a rack, and fixed the oil pump as it was leaking a little. Oh and a R.R. brake caliper. Tires, gas and oil. Great car that I enjoyed the daylights out of.

so from a financial standpoint if your new edge is clean and rust free, and the 89 is as well, you might be financially ahead to get the 89 assuming straight trade. If the seller of the 89 knows that his car might be worth more than the new edge, you might be wise in asking why's he/she wanting to trade?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts