Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Cobra with a S-Trim on it. Currently the IAT sensor is mounted in the Andersen Power Pipe on the intake side of the supercharger. When I had it dyno tuned they asked me if my IAT had been relocated. Should I move it to the discharge tube and what are the advantages?

·
Registered
86 Posts
You only need to relocate it if you are running a blow through setup.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
You want your ACT sensor located where it will reveal the actual temps the cylinder will see. The EEC relies on this information to control timing. So the ACT should go after the blower because that will heat the air charge and the EEC needs to know that to be able to control timing to protect your motor.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I have a 98 Cobra with a S-Trim on it. Currently the IAT sensor is mounted in the Andersen Power Pipe on the intake side of the supercharger. When I had it dyno tuned they asked me if my IAT had been relocated. Should I move it to the discharge tube and what are the advantages?
If its in the discharge tube it will read all the hot air and retard the timing.. really it all depends on how the tune is setup.. I think its safer in the discharge tube.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Exactly, it really depends on how the tune is setup. It's best for it to be in the discharge tube so it gets an accurate reading of the incoming air, but if the EEC isn't tuned for it, it will pull a lot of timing out due to the hotter air from the blower.

Also, many people who run water/meth injection use it as a safety net if the injection were to ever fail or run out

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
relocate IAT

Ok, so if you were me would you relocate it? I just got the car dyno tuned this week. I dont have an intercooler or methanol so it only put dow 451 horsepower at 16 psi of boost. If I move it I will have to get it retuned, right? I want to hit the 500 mark so I am either going to put a small shot on it or methanol injection. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I would most definitely relocate it. Not hard to do, plenty of upsides from doing it, and i can't think of one downside to it. It really makes no sense NOT to.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
yup, plus if you are planning on a small shot or meth then a retune will be necessary anyway. Running it the way it is isn't going to hurt anything now, so just wait until you install the n2o or meth and have it retuned.

If you move it now without getting it retuned it will pull a lot of timing and you will lose power. The stock settings in the EEC for the IAT starts pulling timing at 150* which is easily obtained with a blower without an intercooler or meth.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Just move it next time you get tuned, not gonna be that much difference on your current setup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts