Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a brand new set of bare GT 40 P's. I will be running these on my 90 GT. I will be using a P&P stock intake, 1.6 FRPP RR's, TFS Stage I cam, & FRPP P headers. Should I just assemble the heads & throw them on? My car is an AOD & I have 3.55 gears in the garage about to go in. I will be getting a shift kit & convertor late this year. I am wanting a pretty fast street car, nothing radical.

Kevin

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Where's a good place to get valves? What valve size do I need? I think they use 1.85/1.46.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I ported mine it was my first set of heads that I've ported If you have the time and confidense if this is your first time I would do alot of research before jumping in.Also be prepared to have to replace a head if need be ($160 with shipping)as I had to because I hit a water jacket at the very end of my porting job unfortunately and had to start all over,But I ported mine extensively but I am happy with what I have done even with the error I made even with all the research I did.But you can clean up the casting flaws and do alittle bowl work and see gains of 20+hp with minor porting.I went all out and spent hours and hours using a combo of a Dremmal,air die grinder to a variable speed grinder with a flex fitting that I preffered over the rest(I bought at Harbor Freight) .The Dremmal just is'nt made to last as I burn't up 2 and the air die grinder is to fast for a beginner and not forgiving because of that reason.But in the end it is up to you.But I say go for it if you feel confident that you can handle the job.If not maybe just do a light clean up and light bowl work and leave at that maybe. You might want to also mill your heads about .030 to bump the compression alittle,as that will net you a few more pony's.:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would stick with the stock size valves as the larger ones won't net you much more power and in fact can hurt you by loosing some velocity from what I understand.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I ported one of mine of saturday, gonna do the other one this weekend. it was my first time and i just took my time, read alot of info and paid attention to what i was doing. i just cleaned up the runners and took out the huge exhaust bump... i didnt feel like taking my heads apart, but since you have bare castings you can really do some work... good luck if you go at it

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you stick with running a p&p stock intake then I think you would be fine not porting the heads. i can't really remember what p heads flow but I think in there stock form they would match up perfect with your intake.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the good advise guys. I may just clean up the exhaust or have it done. Should I get a valve job? My intake I have has alot of work done to it including reshaping the runners. Glad no one is bashing me for getting the 'P's. Should I be able to get 250 RWHP? The AOD sux.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Yes, I would spend the money for a good valve job. You can gain as much as 20 cfm in some lift points with it. I think I'd just do the good competition valve job, and mill them, and assemble them with good springs. You will gain more hp by doing this, than doing a light clean up in the ports. If you want to do something, play with the exhaust(before the valve job).

Good Luck, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey, just Pm'd you.

REV intakes $50 from a guy on ebay. May have to email him as he now (i think) lists them as a full set for $100 GT-40 sized 1.84 1.54.

Exhaust, get some stock 1.46 valves if you can and get them backcut (will need the full valve job unless they are NEW) or some nice ones from manley/milidon or whtever as REV dosnt make a 1.46 in the same type as the 184/154s meaning they are much pricier race units or something.

OR (talk to your machinist about the cost and posibility of needing new seats) and go ahead and get the 1.54 REV valves put in.

I changed my mind on doing that because how much easier the exhaust port was to improve (others numbers, and looks no personal flow test) and their is no need for having the exhaust port flowing 80 percent or more of what the intake flows.

AND Dont get that cam. It is cheap, that is the best thing I know about it. talk to brian or buddy or even ed (ed seems to know all the numbers which you probably cant give so it may not be the best way to spend a buck) I may do a Hitech some day down the road.

Dremils suck for porting, I have one of those hanging grinder thingys too and never used it just because it is only 1/8th inch shank. I use a $13 electric die grinder 1/4 inch (some metric BS had to order a true 1/4in collet from MAKITA which my cheapo grinders look just like) 25000rpm, wired up a dimmer switch in an extension cord so i have variable speed, carbide bits ($18?) do all the work on the intake, went back over the exhaust with sandpaper rolls and buffs for a polished finish.

On second thought DEFINATELY DONT USE THAT CAM with an AOD and only 3.55 gears you are asking for dissapointment.

either spend the money on a good cam (custom?) or run the stocker and 1.7 rockers. If you have the 1.6s already, then go ahead and buy something good

1 - 9 of 9 Posts