Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently running a Mac Off Road H and 2-chamber flows (dumped) I have some Magnaflow mufflers laying around for my car. But just now im starting to get curious as to how these would sound dumped with my O/R H? So would it be a smart move to ditch the flows and put these in?

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you decide you do not want to run the Magnaflows and want to sell them, email me. Turbos do not like chambered mufflers, and I have been waiting to buy some Magnas.

·
Registered
351 Posts
nate79 said:
magnaflows sound like glasspacks :barf:

Strange- They dont sound anything like glass packs on either of my Shelbys?

Also really strange since Magnaflow doesn't even use fiberglass packing?

Im curious what your set up was to make a Magnaflow sound like a glass pack?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
my magnaflows are actually fairly quite compared to my 2 chamber flowmasters. The magnapacks may sound like a glass pack, however the magnaflows will not.
Dumping them obviously will make them louder, however I think they should sound pretty good.

later

Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

·
Registered
368 Posts
I heard the magnapacks on a 32valve cobra and they sounded horrible. I however have the stand magnaflows in my car and they sound awesome.

If you've ever seen the magnapack's than you'd know that they look exactly like they sound..... like Sh*t

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i dunno, they must have changed their design or something, but when i had them they sounded terrible. this was on a 600hp engine too...they sounded like glass packs when you werent driving aggresive. when i got on it, it sounded like a friggin import!!!!!! very weird sound. maybe it was the x-pipe?

never heard a good sounding magnaflow yet. Everyone i talk to hates them, everyone who had them took them off..

maybe they only sound good on certain motors, i dunno.

its just noise.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
oops, the set up was
10.1 331ci stock block stroker, ported allumium heads, big cam, holley intake, s-trim with 2.95, long tubes, dr.gas x-pipe(no cats), 2 1/2" tailpipes.
it had a weird high pitched zipping sound at wot, and at normal driving it sounded like glasspacks. idle sounded like glasspacks.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
prolly was the X-pipe, however I heard them on a friends car w/ an X pipe and it still has a deeper sound to it. IMHO magnaflows have a deeper sound to them, sounds like more cubes under the hood. They don't hardly have any drone at cruising, and when you get into it they really open up. I would say they sound comparable to the dynomax ultra flows as they are a straight through design such as these.
They in no way sound like an import however, or high pitched. Ive used them with a bbk catalytic h pipe and a mac prochamber, sound great with both.
jmo

Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nate-

I am thinking that you tried running the Magnapacks on that car........I dont think that would sound right.........

The Magnapack was designed to use on a car with bolt ons...after that.....too many modifications mean that the Magnapacks can't really handle the extra sound anymore.....

I wish I had a sound byte of my GT500...that car has the Magnaflows on it ....and after I took it to the Shelby meet, I had a lot of people coming up and asking me about the exhaust on it and at the next meet, alot of guys were running the Magnaflow muffler on their Shelbys.......

Was it the little 4" round Magnapacks that you were running on that car?

I dont think it was the X pipe- usually only Bassani really adds that sound..never heard of Dr. Gas adding it .....

Lets see if I was right though about it being the packs and not the flows...........

Every car I have heard that switch from Flowmasters to Magnaflows got a deeper sound, more throaty......

Flowmaster usually have more of the metal, hollow sound to them .....

Id like to look into this some more though, because even on built motors...I have never heard our mufflers compared to glass packs......

People may not like the sound, as soundis objective...but I have never heard one of our mufflers sound like a glass pac before except when someone ran a Magnapack on a really built motor....it sounded a little like a glass pack......

but I had Magnaflows on my 90 GT- before I worked here-

and it had a 306 with a NOVI 2000, edelbrock 2.02 heads, a custom ground cam...exc exc and I thought it sounded wicked........

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
it wasnt the magna-packs. this was a regular magnaflow that i bought from a muffler shop, which at the time was the only way to purchase them.

are you from magnaflow?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have them on my car and they sound better than any muffler I have put on a Mustang. I have had MAC and Flowmasters and they were too loud. I have the magnaflow catback and they don't have the drone at cruising speed and they are pretty quiet until you get on it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nate-

Yes actually I am from Magnaflow.......

thats why I am so curious to find out......

Im not saying that one muffler can sound better then another....after all sound is all opinion....

but I have had glass packs on the 350 when I bought it, and when I put on the Magnaflows, it changed the sound of the car completely......

I was going to say it might be your particular set up....but you said it was the same with all of your friends cars too....so that is why I am curious.....

When I think glass pack I think loud popping sounds.....and I have not ever heard a Magnaflow sound like that...

In fact we get more complaints about them being too quiet then anything............

I guess I just havent had anyone describe Magnaflows like that before....

How many years ago did you use the mufflers?

For the first year Magnaflow was out, we used the same fiberglass packing that Borla and Bassani use...then we swicthed to the Rock Wool........

but that was of course 7 years ago........

·
Registered
916 Posts
I will say this. I was at a mustang meet saturday and there were a bunch of '03 cobra's there. One cobra had a magnaflow catback and it had to be one of the best sounding mustangs I have ever heard. I mean it sounded wicked. I was totally surprised be it. It sounded so good that I am going to ditch my flows and H pipe, and go to a X pipe and magnaflow catback. It sounded NOTHING like any other mustang I have heard. It sounded like they should from the factory, f-ing mean. I would do it dude. Get some video's or sound clips and let us hear what they sound like with dumps.

-Billy

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i heard a 02 gt with magnaflows on friday and it sounded good.
it sounded better than the 03 cobra with h-pipe/ flowmasters.
sounded way better.

my freinds took them off cause they were quiet. not cause of the sound. typical.

i had a damaged set, because mine sounded NOTHING like that 02 gt i heard on friday. When i bought mine, thats the sound i wanted.

sorry for knocking your product, i guess they dont sound like glasspacks after all.

only mine did for some reason

-Nate

·
Registered
351 Posts
No worries......I was just more curious then anything.....

If there is a problem with our product, I dont want to ignore it...I want to fix it..........so thats why I was asking all the questions....

We try to be very proactive with problems here.....

I am guessing that the ones you got were defective too....

Id be a liar if I said a defective product never left our plant.....

While it is rare, we do have some defects.........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts