Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an 88 GT with T-Tops without motor and tranny. Body is in pretty good shape. So is the inside. Guy wants 1000 bucks. Just have to find a motor, tranny, acc, ect....

Or, should I just buy a complete car? Don't have too much money.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
143 Posts
i would go for getting the car. this way you could build you dream engine. but in the end no matter what the responders of the post may say it will come down to, do you want to take the time of finding an engine and tranny and installing them or to get one that already has the engine and tranny. but i would definitely say get it!!!!! brandon

·
Registered
743 Posts
I agree, get it and put a fresh motor/ drivetrain in it, that way you'll know the history alittle better. The only thing Id watch out for is the ttops. I know alot of people like em, but mine leaked bad on an 86 I owned, so check for signs of water in the interior.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal. Check the engine bay to see how much was taken out. Is the master cylinder, wiring harness, etc still there? The little things are a pain to collect. Do the t-tops leak? Check for rust on the floor under the carpet.

Oh yes, get subframes!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I like the idea, I bought my notch as a rolling chassis and will be looking for another sometime down the road. You mentioned that you don't have a lot of money. That's is fine. You will need a lot of time though if you have patience. That's actually good I think, you can plan out a bugdet over a reasonable amount of time as I am doing and pick up stuff as you go along or set up your purchases in stages as well. I say go for it!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
A decade ago I bought a Monza Town Coupe that had fresh paint but had no engine or trans. I put a 350 sbc motor and THM350 in it. The project was not too bad especially since I had already done one v8 swap on a rusted out Monza (big mistake) Because the car was not running when I bought it I could not test drive it. The front rotors were badly worn, the dash board had been taken out of the car by the previous owner and did not work. I went carbed, so less wiring mess compared to FI. I lucked out that the rear end was OK and everything else was sound.

If I were you, I would weigh several factors before buying this car:

Why is the owner selling this car without engine/trans? A running 5.0 is more valuable then a shell so why did he take it apart?
Is the body, interior, brakes, steering, suspension in very good shape? If not factor in those replacement costs.
Do you have a place to work on the car for a few weeks?
Do you have the mechanical ability to swap an engine trans?
Do you have mechanical ability to wire up the FI?
Do you have a donor vehicle for all the little sensors and wiring you will need for the FI?
Will you have the patience to round up all the little things you will be missing to see the project thru to the end?

Good luck! Tom

T

·
0 Posts
I think you should purchase a complete car...that way you can take your time doing the right things with good quality parts..rather than rush things to try and get your car running....especially if funds are limited....but it would be wicked to start from scratch!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If you are planning on swaping in a fuelie motor, check the engine compartment connections to see how the original motor was removed.

If the wires were all cut, it is going to be a TON of work to figure out where everything goes.

Does the original transmission type (5 speed/auto) match what you want to put in? If you are on a tight budget, those are more parts you are going to have to buy.

Does it have decent wheels/tires, or are you going to have to buy those too.

If the car is solid, and looks workable, try and deal with him. Offer $700 and go from there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts