Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a new hood on last week. Design Concepts hood that is latching with the stock parts. Seems to latch great.

That said, should I still run pins for the track. I figure I will be trapping at 125 plus this season.

Is there an NHRA requirement for this at some point?

Did a search but came up empty.:)

·
Corral Charter Member
4,633 Posts
Not a requirement, but I would run pins just to be safe. I run them on my car, I think they looks like ass, but I'd rather have the peace of mind.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i don't run them on mine. i just use the factory latch and all. i suppose it would be a good idea i just HATE the way they look so i've never used them.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The previous owner of my car installed them, i hate them so much i took them off and now i have 2 holes in my hood. Maybe one day ill fill'm in.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well poop on a stick guys. This throws a kink in my plans. I have one for them and two against so far.

I hate the way they look as well. I just want to be safe though.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Not a fan of the way they look but I would rather have two ugly pins and plates on the hood then one dented to hell cowl. If your hood ever flys up your looking at atleast 1k in damage. I still don't have them on mine though. I was thinking about using the flush mount Dzus Fasteners but I have to find out if they will work with a bolt on hinged hood. All I ever saw them used on where pin on style panels or hoods.

http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=9&s=95&p=1747&searchtype=ecat

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
When I had a bolt on hood I ran them. Same theory, I'd rather live with a couple of pins rather than take the chance of the hood blowing back and destroying itself, the cowl and potentially the windshield and roof in some case.

If you look at latch area it's typically just a piece of steel mounted to fiberglass, not much real strength over time with flexing and regular use.

I vote pins, better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yup, one of our customers cars had the latch seperate at a high speed on the street. Hood was totally wrecked along with a broken windshield and a nice dent in the roof. No matter the company who makes the hood, there is only so much strength the material has.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Stupid ? , but I dont see people using hood pins with the stock hood , why would you have to use them with a glass latch hood??

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
red89notch said:
Stupid ? , but I dont see people using hood pins with the stock hood , why would you have to use them with a glass latch hood??
The stock hoods are metal and the latch fits perfectly where it's designed to fit. When I had my fiberglass hood attached by a bodyshop. either they didn't attach it exactly where it needed to be or the metal lip was too thin allowing the hood to pop open to the safety latch. At high speeds, it would have just ripped the fiberglass and torn my hood/windshield to shreds...James

·
Registered
229 Posts
rednotch said:
Not a fan of the way they look but I would rather have two ugly pins and plates on the hood then one dented to hell cowl. If your hood ever flys up your looking at atleast 1k in damage. I still don't have them on mine though. I was thinking about using the flush mount Dzus Fasteners but I have to find out if they will work with a bolt on hinged hood. All I ever saw them used on where pin on style panels or hoods.

http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=9&s=95&p=1747&searchtype=ecat
Use pins...without a doubt! If you have ever seen still shots of cars at the top end of the dragstrip, you will understand why. Bodies do all sorts of wierd things at speed. I have seen more than a couple busted up cowls and broken windshields. It happened to a friend of mine with an HO Fibertrends hood , and really messed up his car. The hood was fine though...amazing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
94+ use fiberglass hoods
New hood, roof, windshield, cowl damage = $2500+
urlosin has it right, that little flex at speed is all that's neded to ruin your day.

·
Registered
911 Posts
glad i ran across this thread. ive been running a fiberglass hood for years & even had my 4" keanan fly up on me caving in my cowl area in front of the winshiled. thanx god the cowl hood height was tall enough to stop the hood from going all the way back to the winshield & roof! ive hated the pin look but the truth is i dont want it happening wiht my 2.5" ho fibertrends, a deffinate disaster if this one flies up(short cowl)......think im picking up some pins this weekend.........
thanx

·
Registered
306 Posts
I vote pins, better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
468 the cobra insert and the new hood look great. I am also voting for the pins, you can use a flush mount style pin so it doesn't look as guady. But truth be told have you ever seen fiberglass flex at high speed? It can really move, and that puts stress on the hood latch area which eventually causes it to crack then guess what, it comes up. do i sound liek i speak from personal experience? LOL

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.:)

There will be pins installed before the first track pass this season.:)

·
Corral Charter Member
4,633 Posts
Steve, do yourself a favor and get the FMS stainless pins. They're around $35, but very nice heavy duty looking pieces. I've seen some cheapie pins and the look like crap.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stainless sounds good jeff. The last thing I want to look at is rust and or rust stains.

I don't know if I like the sounds of locking ones AL.
On a heavily modified motor the chances of fire go way up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts