Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in CA so can't have long tubes. I just got the JBA shorties today--the same day I heard that the motor has to be "jacked up" to get them to fit. Has anyone paid an exhaust shop to so these for them? How much did they charge? Power gains?

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,411 Posts
It's not a big deal. Just take the nut off the motor mounts, one side at a time and jack the engine up by the bellhousing w/ a piece of wood between the jack and the BH. It only needs to be jacked up about 2-3 inches for the installation, then let back down and put the nut back on the motor mount. Easy.

·
Registered
456 Posts
A shop is going to charge you somewhere between $400 and $600 to install your headers. :eek:

The price is high because it's time-intensive. I installed my own JBA's without dropping the K-member. No rocket science involved, but it took me 16 hours. :eek:

Everyone says you can just about cut that time in half if you drop the K.

One more thing. My JBA's are a 1-5/8" set, and I had to clearance the driver side collector to get it off the steering shaft. Some guys run into this problem and some don't. Depends on how everything lines up in your car. Just something to be aware of going in.

I can email you some install notes I put together if you want. Let me know.

T-

·
Registered
866 Posts
Rice Hunter said:
I live in CA so can't have long tubes. I just got the JBA shorties today--the same day I heard that the motor has to be "jacked up" to get them to fit. Has anyone paid an exhaust shop to so these for them? How much did they charge? Power gains?
Most guys get about 10 RWHP from the JBA shorties, mostly in the upper half of the RPM range. But what you get seems to depend on other mods you have and maybe your particular engine.

BTW just because you're in CA doesn't mean you can't have long tubes. As long as they have cats, a CARB # and a hook up for the air injection, you should pass even the new smog test.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: Re: Shorty headers--worth it?

Michael Clements said:
... BTW just because you're in CA doesn't mean you can't have long tubes. As long as they have cats, a CARB # and a hook up for the air injection, you should pass even the new smog test.
Michael,

I've never seen any LT's with CARB certification. Have you? Come to think of it, the JBA's are the only shorties that I know of with a CARB number. Maybe that's one of the reasons they cost a bit more than most.

T-

·
Registered
866 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Shorty headers--worth it?

TazCobra said:
Michael,

I've never seen any LT's with CARB certification. Have you? Come to think of it, the JBA's are the only shorties that I know of with a CARB number. Maybe that's one of the reasons they cost a bit more than most.

T-
Possibly... I don't know. My point was more about tailpipe emissions. I smogged the Panoz just a month ago and its emissions were lower than my Honda Civic :eek:. And that's with the Panoz exhaust which uses high flow cats. What that tells me is that these 4.6 Cobra engines are tight and burn clean, making them unlikely to fail smog even with aftermarket cats.

So the only potential issue is the carb #. The actual tailpipe emissions are probably going to pass.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Shorty headers--worth it?

Michael Clements said:
Possibly... I don't know. My point was more about tailpipe emissions. I smogged the Panoz just a month ago and its emissions were lower than my Honda Civic :eek:. And that's with the Panoz exhaust which uses high flow cats. What that tells me is that these 4.6 Cobra engines are tight and burn clean, making them unlikely to fail smog even with aftermarket cats.

So the only potential issue is the carb #. The actual tailpipe emissions are probably going to pass.
You've got FRPP shorties on your Panoz, right? That means your highflow cats are still close enough to the engine to do their jobs properly. LT's move the cats pretty far back, giving the exhaust gases an opportunity to cool a bit. This usually prevents the cats from burning off enough excess HC's to meet emissions, and it's why LT's can't get CARB certified.

T-

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
It's a PITA. Without a doubt, pull the k-member. Took 12 hours w/o dropping the K, and 8, with dropping the K. Not really worth it, with shorties IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts